Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High WBC count, no DX
10-08-2014, 09:25 PM,
High WBC count, no DX
Hey everyone! I am new to these forums, but I just wanted to get this out there to see if anyone has heard of any similar cases so I can get some answers. Here is a little background of what's going on with my 25 pound doberman mix pup!

Hallie just turned a year old, and we got her from a rescue in Feb. In June she started getting very "lame" in her back legs and could not jump even up to the couch anymore. Tests showed a high white blood cell count, and then further testing got the vet to diagnose her with Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy (HOD for short!) Ever since then she has been on prednisone and is now on one pill every other day. Tests still show her WBC count is high, but she has gotten so much better. She eats well, drinks water, can jump high again, and is just a very active crazy little puppy again! Vet says the high WBC is now abnormal because of how well she is doing. She does have an occasional cough, but has tested negative twice now for Valley fever. She really has no other symptoms then the high WBC count, and that is enough cause for concern for our vet. It has actually gone up a little bit since the beginning, rather then down like it should be. We've spent around $2,000 total now treating the HOD and getting the blood tests every few weeks, and still have not gotten an answer. She is doing so well we just have such a hard time spending all this money when she doesn't even look all that sick, other than what she is dealing with having HOD (limping and jaw pain). We love our dogs very much so it is very hard, but at some point we have to say enough is enough. The thought of that kills me. Does anyone have any advice, have you dealt with HOD before or something like it? Any input will help.

Thank you for reading! Shy
10-09-2014, 12:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 12:26 PM by Melinda12.)
RE: High WBC count, no DX
No experience on HOD, but when my German Shepherd had once pano as a pup, his white blood cells were high for quite some time and he used to light run a fever as well.

Has she been tested for Lyme?
10-09-2014, 01:24 PM,
RE: High WBC count, no DX
When there is a high white blood count it can be indicative of infection, inflammation or it could be the body trying to get rid of something. Now, with HOD we know that it's not unusual for pups to run a fever and have occasionally high white blood counts, but how high is too high? Normally, WBC should range between 6,500 to 17,500. A high count is generally over 15,000. I am assuming the count is on the higher range since the vets seem concerned about it, yet, it would be odd that despite it your pup is acting normal. Perhaps they possibly suspect there may be something else going on? Mahbe an autoimmune condition? I hope this gets sorted out. I am sorry this is costing you so much. I have pet insurance for my dogs, runs about 50 dollars a month for both and has helped me pay the high bills.