Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ear scabs. help!
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM by onahappynote.)
Sad  ear scabs. help!
[Image: ?view=att&th=137ba032b97a978e&attid=0.1&...&safe=1&zw]
Hello. My black lab mix is about 7 years old and within the past year she has gotten bloody recurring scabs on the inside tips of both ear flaps. Her ears seem to bother her. She shakes her head a lot and when someone messes with her ears she kind of pulls away like it hurts her. I've tried neosporin and it helps for a couple days after multiple applications but the scabs always come back. I'm really worried about her. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be and how I can cure it.

Sorry the picture is so big. Sad I don't know how to make it smaller.
06-04-2012, 09:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM by alexadry.)
RE: ear scabs. help!
Have you noticed if the scabs are a result from your dog scratching the ears? If so, you really need to figure out what is causing the scratching in the first place. Too much scratching and head shaking may cause swollen ears which may lead to aural hematoma which often needs surgery. You can read about this condition here:
http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/Dogs-swollen-ears

However, if only the tips are involved I find it unlikely for the scratching to be the direct cause of the scabs. More often than not, scratching does not directly affect the tips...yet, keep in mind that excessive scratching/head shaking may lead to aural hematoma..

Is this happening more in the summer and is your dog outdoors? Does your dog live near a farm? if so it may be fly strike, you can see a picture and description here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?...1&aid=1565

Another possibility is ear margin vasculitis which causes scabs on the margin of the ear. Read more here:
http://www.vetinfo.com/vets/answers/dog-...symptoms#b

Here are more diseases affecting the dog's pinnas (tips of ears)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index..../30800.htm

As seen, there are various possibilities. I think your best bet is to have your dog examined by a vet to pinpoint the culprit and go from there. If the Neosporin is working but then the scabs come back, there may be an underlying cause that needs addressed and perhaps a different treatment plan is needed. I hope this shed some light, best wishes!
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM,
When it comes to diagnosing scabs and skin conditions it takes some investigative work as there are so many possibilities. I agree that seeing your vet is the best course of action, especially if these scabs are returning after trying Neosporin. A cytology test should be performed on the scabs to exclude bacteria, fungal organisms, etc. That's what they did for my dog and it turned out to be just an ear infection, but in my case it was inside the ear, not the tips. Just my 2 cents, sounds like a frustrating problem!
06-05-2012, 10:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM by onahappynote.)
Thank-you so much for your help. To answer some of your questions she's an inside dog and we live in town. She does scratch her ears sometimes but only the canal part. And the scabs have only ever appeared in the exact same spot as shown in the picture. Both ears do the same thing. My father picks the scabs of and then puts neosporin on them everyday after until the scabs disappear. But after he stops applying neosporin everyday the scabs reappear in the exact same spot. I've told him to stop picking the scabs incase it makes it worse. I would love to take my dog to the vet but sadly we are having financial problems and unfortunately cannot do so. I was hoping her condition was common and could simply be fixed by a store bought medication. I very much appreciate all the info you have given me. I will check out the sites and let you all know what I think. Thanks again. Smile

By the way, shes had the scabs continuously sense around the beginning or middle of last year. Besides the neosporin rituals. U[/align]
06-19-2012, 09:07 PM,
Did you ever figure out what those scabs turned out to be? I was curious to know...I hope your dog is doing better.
06-29-2013, 07:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM by alverwaner.)
hello, these symptoms indicates that your dog has an infection in his ear, that can be caused by moisture (swimming, frequent bathing and incorrect cleaning methods) , you must clean this infections with a cleaner liquid to kill the yeast and bacteria and to stop the spread of infection . The infection dog ear is very painful , do not use a alcohol or an irritant you must use a mild liquid