Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ear margin vasculitis or sarcoptic mange?
03-30-2015, 10:13 PM,
Ear margin vasculitis or sarcoptic mange?
My beautiful three year old "res dog" (she is a wild dog we found abandoned on an Indian reservation in New Mexico when she was a few weeks old), has a skin condition on her ears, and I'm wondering if anyone can help to identify it. My vet took a sample and determined that it wasn't a fungus, and upon doing a bit of research, it appears that it may be ear margin vasculitis. What it looks like is little scabs both on the edge of her ears and some in the inside of her ears. Fortunately, the scabs are all located on the superficial parts of her ears. They don't bother her unless I try touching or scraping them, then they hurt. If anyone has any insight into what this is and whether there is a treatment for it, please let me know. I will attach some pics. Thanks!

03-31-2015, 11:36 PM,
RE: Ear margin vasculitis or sarcoptic mange?
Thanks for posting pictures, they're very helpful. I believe this would fall under the generic category of "ear margin dermatosis" which technically, as the name implies, is generic meaning that the underlying cause is not known until you have a skin scraping that reveals the culprit. The scraping should rule out sarcoptic mange, malassezia yeast or ringworm. If there's itching, scabies (sarcoptic mange) is a possibility and one of the most common causes is indeed scabies. When the ears come negative, it's not a bad idea for the vet to do further testing for hypothyroidism and a biopsy to rule out vasculitis. Might be worth to consult with a veterinary dermatologist, all though I have heard many cases coming back as "idiopathic" when the tests come back negative and the vet cannot find a cause. Is your dog outdoors? In some cases, flies may be the culprit as they like to feed on the margins and once a fly starts, more flies are attracted to the area causing "fly strike.".
04-16-2015, 02:02 PM,
RE:
Hi Jennifer, thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply. I apologize for not getting back sooner. I never received an email notification that you had responded. Everything you've just said is great for knowing how to approach my next vet appointment, and I love your idea about finding a veterinary dermatologist. I didn't realize such a profession even existed. Thanks!
04-17-2015, 01:32 PM,
RE: Ear margin vasculitis or sarcoptic mange?
Your'e very welcome! I hope your dog's ears heal nicely.