Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat red lesion on roof of dog mouth
07-02-2015, 08:43 PM,
Flat red lesion on roof of dog mouth
Does anybody know what this might be? It is a pinkish red raised area on the back of the roof of my dog's mouth but it is flat. Help?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-03-2015, 12:22 AM,
RE: Flat red lesion on roof of dog mouth
(07-02-2015, 08:43 PM)Nay8582 Wrote: Does anybody know what this might be? It is a pinkish red raised area on the back of the roof of my dog's mouth but it is flat. Help?

With any bumps, lumps and growths in the mouth it's important to have them checked out to play it safe. I have witnessed two growths in my dogs' mouths, my Lab had an epulis which was declared benign but removed because it interfered with eating. Epulis though I think they tend to grow more on the gums.

My other dog, a boxer to be precise, had an ameloblastoma that had to be surgically removed. It could a simple irritation that may go away or an ulcer, but I would get it checked out. Your vet may perhaps tell you to keep an eye on it for a few weeks or to get it biopsied.
07-03-2015, 12:49 AM,
I can't tell you exactly what that is, only a vet can really tell you, but wanted to share that I found a picture of something that looks similar on another forum and the owner was also wondering what it was, but the owner never followed up on what it turned out to be. If you decide to have it checked (which is the best course of action anytime there's a growth in the mouth) please update us on what it turned out being. Here is the link to the picture:
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/attac...96&thumb=1
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.
07-03-2015, 11:58 AM,
Thanks everyone! I took her to the vet this morning. It is an oral ulcer. They are not overly concerned right now, could be related to her allergies or acid reflux. They told me to give her Pepcid for now. But I have to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse or spreads it could be viral and they would need to run tests at that point.
07-03-2015, 09:02 PM,
Thank you kindly for the update! Updates are always appreciated, I am happy to hear that it turned out being an ulcer (knowing that oral masses can be so many other worse things). Best wishes for a speedy recovery, cheers!
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.