Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss of hearing?
07-03-2012, 10:45 PM,
Loss of hearing?
My great pyrenees is turning 10 next month and I noticed lately he is not acting normally. In other words, he is getting startled when I walk behind him at times and he even growled the other day when I touched his rump while he was eating and I passed by. He has never shown resource guarding in all his life. Another thing I have noticed is that he is more and more clingy. How can I assess his hearing without going to the vet?
07-15-2012, 12:01 AM,
RE: Loss of hearing?
Greetings,
at your dog's age it is very possible he is experiencing ear loss. Many dog become more clingy when they lose their hearing and they get startled easy which are both things you have noticed. You can try testing your dog's hearing at home. There are several guides on this. Google "dog hearing test" and it will yield a variety of tests you can conduct at home. Deaf dog.org has test you can try. However, the most reliable test is the BAER test which your vet can do. best wishes!
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.
06-24-2015, 03:45 PM,
RE: Loss of hearing?
When my older dogs lost her hearing (she was 14) she was suddenly insecure and was scared of being left alone.