Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
puppy running sideways
07-17-2015, 05:00 PM,
puppy running sideways
hi to all Smile

im about to adopt a new beagle puppy, he is amazing, but there's one weird thing about him, when he is running, it looks like his left legs are not always coaporating and it makes him run sideways.
is that normal? can it means he has some problem in his legs?

he is currently 7 weeks old, and if ill choose him i get him in two weeks, i just want to make sure he is healthy.

Thanks for all the help Smile
07-17-2015, 06:21 PM,
RE: puppy running sideways
Is it very different from the gait of the other puppies? I would straightforwardly discuss this concern with the breeder, and based on his or her answer, deduce if this is a serious breeder or one who is just trying to make $$$. I would also make sure this breeder offers a contract that certifies the pup is in good health and that you will have the pup examined by your veterinarian at your expense within 3 days. If the veterinarian does not give the dog a clean bill of health, the seller should take responsibility to resume possession if this is something you both agree on.
01-07-2016, 02:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 02:15 AM by alexadry.)
RE: puppy running sideways
This can be an issue that is sometimes referred to as "crabbing" sidewinding or "tracking". A puppy who is running sideways, crooked can be a conformation issue or other issue. Here's a definition of it and look at the video on the bottom. I would play it safe and consult with a vet.
http://www.dailydogdiscoveries.com/dog-crabbing/
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.