Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Growth on 8 year old pitbull elbow. (Yes I read the growth post)
09-21-2015, 03:39 PM,
Growth on 8 year old pitbull elbow. (Yes I read the growth post)
I did read the Post on the top about growths and lumps but didn't find anything helpful. My pitbull Jack is going to be 8 in November. I first noticed the growth when he was about 5. It stayed small for almost 2 years, then suddenly over a matter of months it grew rapidly to the size it is now and has stayed steady for almost 2 years again. I am not sure what it is, I would like to remove it but I can't afford to have the vet do it, I'm also unsure if I should be concerned about cancer.    
09-21-2015, 07:28 PM,
RE: Growth on 8 year old pitbull elbow. (Yes I read the growth post)
I can't say what kind of lump your dog has, as it can be so many things, but it looks like the skin by the elbow is enlarged? I am not sure if it is or if it's just a glitch on the picture.  It sort of looks like a hygroma may be present. I wonder if an hygroma left untreated may develop into such a growth, the closest picture I see of something like that is this one:
http://www.marvistavet.com/assets/images...ygroma.gif
However, in your dog's picture, the growth seems to be mostly in the internal part, more by the armpit  rather than the bony, elbow part.
09-21-2015, 08:05 PM,
RE: Growth on 8 year old pitbull elbow. (Yes I read the growth post)
It sort of looks like a skin tag that has grown out of proportion. However, it's always a good idea to have the growth seen especially when a growth stay the same size for years and now starts getting bigger and angrier. Your vet won't necessarily suggest surgery. If your vet does a fine needle aspirate he can see what it is and it could be it's something minor that will shrink with antibiotics or your vet may say to keep watching it. It seems to be in an area that could easily get irritated by your dog laying down, so it could be the friction has made it enlarge. On average a vet visit and biopsy in my neck of the woods costs about $100-150, but you can all around for a better pricing. In some cases, if surgery is needed, the vet can do it with a heady sedative instead of anesthesia. I would assume that to cost about $200-300 but you can check for more accurate pricing.