Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! I have a Puppy with Spina Bifida
10-31-2015, 10:18 PM,
Help! I have a Puppy with Spina Bifida
Hello,

My female Maltese - Rosie - with a little help from Silky Terrier Daddy - Star - gave birth to three adorable puppies: Spike, Spot and Stella.

They are 4 weeks old now.

While Spot and Stella are great - walking and even running - Spike is dragging his rear legs and cannot stand or walk. There is also an area on his back near his tail where there is a dip - unlike his brother and sister.

I suspect he suffers from Spina Bifida.

Please share any advice and/or recommendation about what can and/or should be done with my puppy Spike.

Thanks so much and Happy Halloween!
11-01-2015, 01:43 AM,
RE: Help! I have a Puppy with Spina Bifida
I am sorry to hear your little pup is having problems. It does sounds like some form of spinal or nerve damage.. If you pinch slightly Spike's toes toes does he react at all? Can Spike move his tail at all or is it limp? Could be a case of "swimmer puppy"  or some sort of muscular dystrophy. I would recommend having him see a vet so you know what he's dealing with. Here's an article on swimmer puppies. I hope he gets better!
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?...05&aid=884
11-01-2015, 12:10 PM,
Thanks Meba for your reply and the information in it.

I sincerely appreciate it.

Happy All Saints' Day, - S
11-05-2015, 07:52 PM,
Poor puppy, hopefully he'll start walking normally like his siblings, keep us posted if you ever figure out what it was. Best wishes,
Daisy
11-05-2015, 08:17 PM,
Thanks Daisy for your concern.

It turned out that Meba (see above) was right and the puppy is a "swimmer puppy" - not suffering from Spina Bifida at all.

He is now receiving the proper therapy and he is already walking. He will soon be walking and running like his siblings.

Have a fantastic weekend, - S

PS. Thanks again Meba for your reply and the information in it.
11-09-2015, 12:53 AM,
Thank you for the update, good to hear that your little one is on his way to recovery!
11-11-2015, 03:08 PM,
I have this problem with my puppy too
11-11-2015, 06:04 PM,
Hi ben wajedd,

Do you mean Spina Bifida or Swimmer Puppy Syndrome? - S