Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kennel cough from vaccine?
12-29-2015, 12:28 PM,
Kennel cough from vaccine?
I took my healthy, seven year old dog to the vet about two weeks ago to get her annual bordatella shot in preperation for boarding her over the New Years holiday. A few days after getting the vaccine, I noticed she was coughing and wheezing. Not terribly, but enough for me to notice. Now, a week later my other two dogs (particularly my 13 chi) are coughing much worse than the dog who got the shot. These two dogs are current on all shots. I guess my question is, is it possible that the vaccine gave my dog a contagious strain of kennel cough? Or I guess she could of picked it up while at the vet? Id just like to know what I could be dealing with. I'm taking one to the vet tonight, but I'd really like to know know if kennel cough is a possibility so i can begin to make alternative boarding plans...
12-30-2015, 02:43 PM,
RE: Kennel cough from vaccine?
From what I know, the incubation time (time between getting infected and onset of symptoms) for bordetella is 3 to 4 days but can be up to 10 to 14 days. Now, have heard of some dogs develop transient symptoms within (3 to 10 days) of coughing, sneezing, or nasal discharge. If you look at the link below you will find about the bordetellla vacine "This product is generally combined with intranasal CPiV. Transient (3–10 days)coughing, sneezing, or nasal discharge may occur in a small percentage of vaccinates."
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.u...elines.pdf
12-30-2015, 02:54 PM,
Daisy, I have heard about too. When I was watching a friend's dog she too vaccinated and her dog got the kennel cough symptoms after the vaccine, but what is odd is that in this case, the OP is stating that the others dogs are now having symptoms. Now, the bordetella vaccine is not 100 percent effective, there are like 40 different strains, so wondering if perhaps really got it at the vet's office before the vaccine kicked in and passed it to the others? Would like to know what the vet thinks. It's the kennel's call to decide what to do, sure you are right as you have all the papers documenting your vet gave the vaccine, maybe they have a kennel that's separated from the others? Maybe board at the vet's office in isolation? the condition is transmitted like the human cold, through sneezing and coughing and sharing food and water bowls.
10-10-2016, 06:40 PM,
I'll jump in here instead of starting a new thread.  My Dachshund (7 yrs  18 lbs) got the Bordetella intranasal vaccination about 2 months ago.   No unusual symptoms for the first week or so then she started getting nasal congestion, sneezing a lot and making breathing noises coming from her head area when she sleeps.  She would do this at night and I'd think I was taking her to the vet and by the morning she would be better.  This went on and on and really the only reason I didn't take her was that during business hours she was generally ok.  Her activity level was maybe a little down and she seemed to be sleeping more but probably not resting as well at night.  

So, 6 days ago I finally took the dog to the vet and sure enough, she looked fine during the examination but the vet certainly took my story at face value and prescribed a course of oral steroids and zyrtec.   She didn't put much stock into the Bordetella possibly causing this.  Now after being on the steroids for several days my dog is way worse.  She is snorting and sneezing all day long.  I keep thinking maybe after 1 more day of meds she will start getting better but she's sneezing her head off.   No visible nasal discharge though. 

Anyone ever heard of this? I am not trying to stir up anything over the vaccine but it's just part of my dogs current medical problem. One other dog got the vaccine and it is fine.   None of my dogs have histories of nasal congestion or allergies except one gets itchy if it eats food with chicken products.
10-11-2016, 01:43 AM,
Hmm... usually I have heard about the intranasal vaccine causing symptoms of bordetella a few days after the vaccine and lasting less than a week. However, you mention your dog showed slight symptoms of respiratory problems after the first week and it appears they got progressively worst. Bordetella though is more likely to cause coughing and gagging due to the fact that it's a respiratory infections affecting the dog's lungs, windpipe and voice box. Snorting and sneezing seems to be more of an issue affecting the nasal passages. Sure, dogs with kennel cough may sneeze a little, but the cough is the main symptom, with the "gagging as if something is stuck in the throat" being depicted as its signature symptom. Also, in the case your dog may have gotten kennel cough (no vaccine is 100 percent effective) it would last for a couple of weeks, or,lat the most, the cough can linger for up to 6 weeks.

Your case though sounds more like a sinus/nasal issue.

Your vet seems to be assuming it is an allergy, but if so, there should be a reduction in the problems, when you are seeing them getting worse. Sounds like there's an underlying cause that is not being addressed. You may want to follow up with your vet or get a second opinion at this point..In the world of medicine, there is a saying "when you hear hooves, think horses not zebra" meaning that doctors/ vets treat first for the most common causes and go from there. It may be you are dealing with something that is not that common.

Do you live in an area where there are foxtails? These are known for causing severe sneezing fits when they get lodged somewhere in a dog's nose. Grass awns/ blades may also get lodged at times. Did the vet check your dog's teeth? Sometimes teeth problems can cause sneezing fits as the roots of dog teeth reach nearby the dog's nasal area. Most dogs after 5 have dental problems.

One may wonder if you may be dealing with a resistant strain of an upper respiratory infection or one that isn't covered in the vaccine. If your dog ever produced any type of mucus it could be analyzed by the vet to determine a cause, but you mention no discharge. Challenging case! Maybe record your dog's sneezing fits and show them to your vet and see what to do from there. Hope it gets sorted out for you.
10-11-2016, 12:08 PM,
(10-10-2016, 06:40 PM)eebill Wrote: I'll jump in here instead of starting a new thread.  My Dachshund (7 yrs  18 lbs) got the Bordetella intranasal vaccination about 2 months ago.   No unusual symptoms for the first week or so then she started getting nasal congestion, sneezing a lot and making breathing noises coming from her head area when she sleeps.  She would do this at night and I'd think I was taking her to the vet and by the morning she would be better.  This went on and on and really the only reason I didn't take her was that during business hours she was generally ok.  Her activity level was maybe a little down and she seemed to be sleeping more but probably not resting as well at night.  

So, 6 days ago I finally took the dog to the vet and sure enough, she looked fine during the examination but the vet certainly took my story at face value and prescribed a course of oral steroids and zyrtec.   She didn't put much stock into the Bordetella possibly causing this.  Now after being on the steroids for several days my dog is way worse.  She is snorting and sneezing all day long.  I keep thinking maybe after 1 more day of meds she will start getting better but she's sneezing her head off.   No visible nasal discharge though. 

Anyone ever heard of this? I am not trying to stir up anything over the vaccine but it's just part of my dogs current medical problem. One other dog got the vaccine and it is fine.   None of my dogs have histories of nasal congestion or allergies except one gets itchy if it eats food with chicken products.

Kennel cough is a disease caused first by one of several viruses which usually runs its course in a few days, followed by a secondary Bordetella bacterial infection.  The Bordetella infection accounting for most of the days the dog is said to have "Kennel cough".  Thus, the use of the vaccine against Bordetella to prevent an opportunistic bacterial infection.

The Bordetella vaccine is attenuated so that it can not cause full blown disease in an otherwise healthy dog.  It has the ability to cause a few mild symptoms and hang around for 3-10 days for some dogs, before the dog's immune system eliminates the attenuated bacteria.  However, if the dog's immune system is compromised due to some underlying disease (e.g. cancer), then even an attenuated bacteria could stay around longer.  But it's unlikely to last 2 months.  It would play out much faster.

Did the Vet take a blood sample for a CBC differential count?  That would give indications whether an infection or other underlying condition existed.  The Prednisone+Zyrtec combo should be working well if the dog was suffering from a respiratory allergy.  Or at least having some effect.  However, if Prednisone is given to a dog with an infection (i.e. suppressing the immune system), and without any antibiotics, then yes, the infection, and symptoms could get worse.  Have you taken the dog's temperature at different times of the day?  The Prednisone may or may not suppress the febrile response to a mild-moderate respiratory infection.  So fever may or may not be present.

Your dog may have a mild infection of unknown origin.  Where Prednisone is likely to make the infection worse.  You should call or tell your Vet the dog's condition has become worse, and you are concerned it has an infection, which could get worse.  Then it will be up to the Vet to determine the appropriate diagnostics.
10-12-2016, 11:55 AM,
Thanks for the reply. The vet did look at her teeth and they were ok. They do our cleanings.  Ive never seen any mucous but it sure sounds like her nose is full of it at times. Videoing is a great idea. No foxtails.  We are in the middle of our fall allergy season here in TN but the dogs sx started well before. Thanks for the ideas.