Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood in urine
01-23-2016, 11:15 PM,
Blood in urine
I have a three year old Miniature Australian Shepherd. I've noticed something odd, and I know that I should take him to the vet ASAP, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. 

I was visiting my mother's house when I first noticed blood in his urine. I, of course, panicked, but the next day after I got back to my apartment he was perfectly fine. No frequent urination, no hesitation or signals of pain when walking or urinating, and no licking or grooming. I thought maybe he had just eaten something that had discolored his urine.

The next week I went back to visit my mother and the same thing happened. I again was very concerned, but again the next morning after I went home he was normal. Throughout the week there was no signs of blood or any symptoms.

Tonight makes the third time that I'm here and he has started to urinate what looks like blood. I'm not sure what would be causing it. I can't imagine that a UTI would come and go only in certain environments. I was thinking a kidney stone might act up being in the car perhaps, but that seems like it would also show problems during the time at our house. He's on the same food that he eats at home. The water is filtered so he's not drinking city water. He doesn't have any change in behavior while here.

So, has anyone observed a pattern of bloody urination due to environmental factors?
01-24-2016, 01:31 AM,
RE: Blood in urine
Is this dog neutered or is he still intact? Just asking because some male dogs who are intact sometimes get these random moments of bloody urine.
01-24-2016, 01:47 AM,
Definitely something to have seen by the vet. Good place to start is to catch a urine sample in a sterile container and bring it to the vet to rule out UTI. UTI are not that common in male dogs, but they get them sometimes too. Then yes, so can stones cause the symptoms you see. And if your dog is not neutered, then another possibility is a prostate infection.
Is the urine blood red looking or more brownish?
01-24-2016, 02:53 AM,
He is intact. I've heard about enlarged prostates causing problems.

And the blood is red. It's not even pinky like a lot of the websites say, but actually red, and last time it looked like there were a few blood clots at the end before things returned to normal.
01-25-2016, 02:12 PM,
OK, thanks for the information. I would see the vet to play it safe and see what's exactly causing it. In intact males, they can sometimes have a few drops of blood dripping from their private part when they are nearby females in heat. Any chances there is some breeder with lots of female dogs living nearby your mom's house? I find it odd that it only happens there.
http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/10x...#re.v/458/
http://www.justanswer.com/pet/15u89-male...#re.v/458/