Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male Urinary Problems
11-22-2012, 02:56 PM,
Male Urinary Problems
Mr Magu' is a 3 year old Chocolate Lab (neutered). I've had him to the vet MANY times over the past 2 years for urinary incontinence. Each time his urine comes back clean, no bladder/ureter blocks, and no problems on his blood panel. His symptoms are the same each time. Every month or so he starts squatting to pee for several minutes (up to 20 mins at a time). He pees a little, but then the flow stops and he just squats for a long, long time. Walks across the yards, squats again, dribbles, then stays squatted for 5-10mins...repeat. During this, when he lays down to nap he urinates in his sleep, all over himself etc. He drinks a little more than usual during these episodes, but nothing extreme. His urine is clear, no odor/discharge, and no apparent pain. The episodes last about a week or so until the next time it starts back up (in a month or two). I've tried apple cider vinegar, cranberry etc for UTI's (even though I'm told his urine is clean). I feed him Taste of the Wild (Prarie formula). He's lean, athletic and well within normal weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The vets seem to always say "just bring him in for an exam." I drop $200 and am sent home with no answers.
11-22-2012, 06:55 PM,
RE: Male Urinary Problems
Greetings, This does sound like a medical mystery. Only thing that comes to mind since you claim his urine samples come clear each time and that he urinates in his sleep, is perhaps a hormone-related disorder that creates a weakened sphincter. Read through this article below scrolling down where it says "hormone responsive incontinence". If this sounds familiar, perhaps you can discuss the chances of this with your vet. In dogs this is often treated with a drug known as.. are you ready?... phenolopropanolamine, often just called PPP for obvious reasons. You can read more about this here:
http://www.medi-vet.com/UrinaryIncontinence.html

And here is a person with a similar problem and advice by a vet. I hope this helps best wishes!
http://www.vetinfo.com/dincont.html#b
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.