Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advise
04-05-2016, 01:32 PM,
Need some advise
A week and a half ago my 5 year old Sheppard female dog to the Vet for an ear infection.  They cleaned and packed her ears with a antibiotic medication.  They also did a blood panel and exam. 

I have since called the vet to let them know she was acting super weird,  pacing, hiding behind furniture, appetite slowed down, staring into space, confused and listless, bumping into things.

Vet said these were all normal reactions and to give it time.  Maybe another week.  I have been so patient with her, even hand feeding her.  She is excreting normal and she is drinking water,  but not much.

How long does this go on?  anyone have this problem.
04-07-2016, 02:44 PM,
RE: Need some advise
(04-05-2016, 01:32 PM)Mykidsmomplus6 Wrote: A week and a half ago my 5 year old Sheppard female dog to the Vet for an ear infection.  They cleaned and packed her ears with a antibiotic medication.  They also did a blood panel and exam. 

I have since called the vet to let them know she was acting super weird,  pacing, hiding behind furniture, appetite slowed down, staring into space, confused and listless, bumping into things.

Vet said these were all normal reactions and to give it time.  Maybe another week.  I have been so patient with her, even hand feeding her.  She is excreting normal and she is drinking water,  but not much.

What kind of antibiotic medication was she prescribed? There are certain ear antibiotics that are ototoxic and may cause hearing loss aling with behavior changes.
04-07-2016, 05:17 PM,
(04-07-2016, 02:44 PM)Madmax Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 01:32 PM)Mykidsmomplus6 Wrote: A week and a half ago my 5 year old Sheppard female dog to the Vet for an ear infection.  They cleaned and packed her ears with a antibiotic medication.  They also did a blood panel and exam. 

What kind of antibiotic medication was she prescribed? There are certain ear antibiotics that are ototoxic and may cause hearing loss aling with behavior changes.
Enrosloxacin and Ketoconavole.  They called it a "Od Pac"
04-08-2016, 05:04 PM,
Those drugs do not appear to be ototoxic. I am not familiar with the term "OD-pac" but wondering if it was a gel that they packed the ear with? If so, since the gel stays in the ear canal and gradually melts away, it may cause temporary hearing loss which can cause dogs at times to act oddly. It could be your dog is senasitive to feeling the ear canal "full" and not hearting too well? Here is an owners noticing hearing loss in a dog that is taking ENT-gel which has similar ingredients:
http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/3e2...i-111.html
04-08-2016, 05:21 PM,
I was reading this post, and wondering if perhaps it was an "oti-pack"?
If so, read the list below the video of many people reporting hearing problems and side effects, scary stuff! I hope your dog feels better soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9sGSKcU9zI
04-08-2016, 09:15 PM,
(04-08-2016, 05:21 PM)Daisy Wrote: I was reading this post, and wondering if perhaps it was an "oti-pack"?
If so, read the list below the video of many people reporting hearing problems and side effects, scary stuff! I hope your dog feels better soon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9sGSKcU9zI

The vet said it takes a good 2 weeks for the medication to do its job.  She eats and has normal bowels. I have been in contact with the vet.  My dog is progressing.  The medications they put in her ears is all normal good stuff.   It's just so hard to watch.  She has to be confined because of the confusion.    Thanks
04-09-2016, 02:04 PM,
I am so sorry to hear that your dog is going through this. I do not have much to add, it sounds like it's likely a side effect and your vet says to wait it out. I am happy to hear your dog is progressing, I think that's a good sign. Hopefully it's just a matter of time, it sounds like you are doing your best to keep her safe. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
04-09-2016, 11:54 PM,
(04-09-2016, 02:04 PM)Jennifer Wrote: I am so sorry to hear that your dog is going through this. I  do not have much to add, it sounds like it's likely a side effect and your vet says to wait it out. I am happy to hear your dog is progressing, I think that's a good sign. Hopefully it's just a matter of time, it sounds like you are doing your best to keep her safe. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

She is my soul.  I didn't want to force feed her but she is doing better.  We used to walk for hours but since she is so confused I don't.  Short walks are good.  Trying to add back her favorite foods and snacks.  

Thank you!
05-02-2016, 07:31 PM,
Good News!

05-03-2016, 08:22 PM,
Thanks for the update! So nice to hear your dog is doing better!