Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diahrrhea/Finicky stomach/Supplement suggestions
06-03-2016, 12:04 AM,
Diahrrhea/Finicky stomach/Supplement suggestions
Hi everyone,
I got my aussie about 2 months ago.  I've had quite a difficult time adjusting him to his new dog food.  He has diarrhea if I deviate from his current diet.  Half green lentils/half dried food.  Originally, he was on lentils only since it was the only food that made his stools normal.  I've managed to get him on half dried food.  If I give him anything other than the lentils he gets bad diahrrhea.  His stool sample was negative.  We didn't do blood work.  I've been told maybe an enzyme supplement would help.  I really want to start training him but I can't because I can't give him treats or even his dry dog food on its on.  Anyone have anything similar with their dog.  The dog food I'm feeding him is soy free, corn free, wheat free, and gluten free so there's nothing bad in it.  Help! I can't take it anymore!
Thanks everyone,
jennifer
06-03-2016, 03:45 PM,
RE: Diahrrhea/Finicky stomach/Supplement suggestions
jenn59Hi everyone,
I got my aussie about 2 months ago.  I've had quite a difficult time adjusting him to his new dog food.  He has diarrhea if I deviate from his current diet.  Half green lentils/half dried food.  Originally, he was on lentils only since it was the only food that made his stools normal.  I've managed to get him on half dried food.  If I give him anything other than the lentils he gets bad diahrrhea.  His stool sample was negative.  We didn't do blood work.  I've been told maybe an enzyme supplement would help.  I really want to start training him but I can't because I can't give him treats or even his dry dog food on its on.  Anyone have anything similar with their dog.  The dog food I'm feeding him is soy free, corn free, wheat free, and gluten free so there's nothing bad in it.  Help! I can't take it anymore!
Thanks everyone,
jennifer

Have you tried substituting in a little can pumpkin for the lentis?  Gradually or otherwise wean puppy off the beans.

Or front end his feeding with plain live yogurt cultures containing lactobaccili?  

Have you discussed with your Vet whether giving Loperamide (Immonium A/D) would be appropriate?  Not good for some breeds such as Collies. Also whether they would prescribe a course of therapy with Metronidazole.   

A combo of a little pumpkin added to his dry food, yogurt cultures, and Metronidazole helped my chemo puppy get over a bout of profuse liquid diarrhea, a few months ago.  Along with a little Loperamide usually at night.
06-03-2016, 04:48 PM,
RE: Diahrrhea/Finicky stomach/Supplement suggestions
I am not familiar with giving lentils to dogs, but yes, there are products such as digestive enzymes that can be helpful. Has your dog done any tests? barium study? What was the vet's diagnosis? Some dogs get SIBO or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.