Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saw this crawling out of my dog...
07-30-2016, 09:14 PM,
Saw this crawling out of my dog...
I saw this crawling out of my dog's butt. Any idea what it is? 

https://imgur.com/a/uKhss

07-31-2016, 01:39 PM,
RE: Saw this crawling out of my dog...
Had him to the vet this morning and they took a stool sample and verified that he had tapeworms. Got him all taken care of. Some people freaked out at my photo so yes I did wash my hands right after the picture with germicidal soap and hit water. Hah hah hah... I couldn't just leave that ugly thing on my precious baby. Thanks.
07-31-2016, 04:57 PM,
Hello, thanks for the update. Yes, those are tapeworms. They are treated using Praziquantel which you can obtain from your vet. Don't be surprised to find some nasty stuff in your dog's stool as he gets rid of the tapeworm. What you are seeing is only the tip of the iceberg (those are just egg segments) the real beast is attached to the dog's intestine. Also, you will need to take care of fleas, as they are the vectors for tapeworm. Use a good product that kills fleas on your pet and a product that kills eggs and larvae in the environment. Best of luck!
07-31-2016, 06:13 PM,
They gave me Sentinel Spectrum which they said would not only cure the problem but prevent it in the future with continued monthly doses. Switched him from Heartguard.
08-02-2016, 01:13 AM,
Sentinel spectrum is pretty good stuff, it kills many worms included tapeworms which many over the counter de-wormers don't.