Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUCCAL LYMPHNODES
08-10-2016, 04:41 PM,
Exclamation  BUCCAL LYMPHNODES
Hi everyone! I have a 10 month old Boxer AmStaff mix and she has bilateral buccal lymphnodes which are of course rare. One of her nodes is much larger than the rest.

We had a TON of tests including FNA which just showed the node was reactive.

My question is has ANYONE dealt with this?
08-11-2016, 09:29 AM,
RE: BUCCAL LYMPHNODES
IvyButtsHi everyone! I have a 10 month old Boxer AmStaff mix and she has bilateral buccal lymphnodes which are of course rare. One of her nodes is much larger than the rest.

We had a TON of tests including FNA which just showed the node was reactive.

My question is has ANYONE dealt with this?

Presumably there are no nodes swollen in other parts of the body.  Presumably they ran a Flow Cytometry, and did not observe a large blast cell lymphocyte population in the FNAs. 

Once cancer is eliminated then you have a lymph node "reactive" or responding to an infection.  Then the Vets would determine whether it's bacteria, yeast, other, and treat accordingly.
08-13-2016, 02:40 PM,
I never had a pup with it, But just thought worth mentioning, that if these are limited to the lymph nodes of the mouth/cheek area and there is no fever, loss of appetite and nothing wrong with the pup's ears, eyes,teeth,mouth,, a differential diagnosis can include puppy strangles, also known as Juvenile cellulitis. How to tell what is it exactly? Once the vet collects a small needle aspirate of the lymph node and sent off to pathology and it's determined that the lymph nodes are reactive but not due to an infection, puppy strangles can be a possibility. This can be treated with low doses of steroids given for a while.
08-13-2016, 02:52 PM,
Has your vet provided a diagnosis? Puppy strangles is unlikely, as it's more likely to occur in young puppies, generally under 16 weeks old. However, Clinician's Brief mentions "although occasional cases in adult dogs have been reported" so guess it's not unheard of in a puppy of this age. What is your vet treating it with? What information were you specifically looking for? My cousin had a pup with it, and I can contact her and ask her a few questions.