Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleeding..
08-31-2016, 02:01 PM,
Bleeding..
hello, so I've noticed lately my dog has been bleeding with she pees. She's been cleared recently by doctors that she doesn't have a uti infection. Took her to the doctors this morning to check her vaginally. The doctor told me she does have bloody discharge. Her cervix is open so much they can stick a finger through, they did a swab sample of it. But they think she has a tumor/mass or lesion at the pit of her uterus the doctor said maybe due to her getting fixed. I've also read about pyometra.. Has anyone had similar? Or know anything. They want to do surgery  but I can't do it today
08-31-2016, 03:46 PM,
RE: Bleeding..
"But they think she has a tumor/mass or lesion at the pit of her uterus the doctor said maybe due to her getting fixed."

As you already have read, pyometra is under the influence of the female hormones produced by the ovaries, which are presumably gone. Likewise the treatment for pyometra, and uterine tumors is to remove the ovaries. Unclear what the Vets are saying, other than leaving the uterus behind during a spaying allows the potential for a tumor/infection to later occur there.

Also as you have probably read, even with intact females a uterine tumor is rare, and likely to be benign. Higher probability it's a cyst growth due to infection. That would require no hormonal influences.

When they do remove it, let us know what the pathology report says. In the meantime watch for potential systemic infections (e.g. fever, nausea).
08-31-2016, 10:24 PM,
I am assuming your dog is intact (not spayed, not fixed) since you are looking up pyometra and mention that your vet thinks there is a mass by her uterus. Signs of pyometra generally occur 60-70 days after a heat cycle and is usually seen in older females even though it can be seen in any age. An open pyometra takes place when the cervix is relaxed and seeps a bloody foul-smelling vaginal discharge. On top of the relaxed cervix and vaginal discharge affected dogs may tend to act lethargic, loose appetite and may vomit, drink more, develop diarrhea etc. When most vets see a dog with pyometra, they will want to treat it aggressively and quickly (as this can become life threatening quickly) through antibiotics, supportive care and surgery. Did your vet ever mention this concern at all?

Now that I read your post again, I am a bit confused, because you mention that you suspect pyometra and vet suspected a mass by the uterus, but then you state the mass "may be due to her getting fixed. " Has your dog perhaps undergone an ovariectomy (OVE) (removal of just the ovaries, leaving the uterus in place?) rather than an ovariohysterectomy (OVH) removal of uterus and ovaries? Did the vet mention anything about the possibility of the vet who originally spayed her leaving a part of the uterus behind? A "stump" may be prone to stump pyometra (quite rare though) or developing masses I would think. Other possibilities that come to mind are polyps, avginities vaginal cancer or even something going on with the urine/bladder. Ovarian remnant cysts can happen when, again after the spay surgery a few cells of the ovary remain and then, over the years, develop into a cyst which can cause hormones to stimulate an older dog to go into estrus or develop an infection.
08-31-2016, 11:02 PM,
Other possibilities that come to mind are polyps, avginities vaginal cancer or even something going on with the urine/bladder.

Meant to say "vaginitis"
09-01-2016, 10:26 AM,
" Ovarian remnant cysts can happen when, again after the spay surgery a few cells of the ovary remain and then, over the years, develop into a cyst which can cause hormones to stimulate an older dog "

That's a good find Daisy. And it would explain the Vet's remarks about it being related to getting the dog "fixed". Assuming the surgery was very recent (e.g. the last few months).
09-01-2016, 12:54 PM,
She got fixed when she was a year old, she's 5 years right now. The doctor hasn't mentioned pyometra, I just went symptom searching in hopes to find something that's relates to her symptoms ? We urine/bladder is ok no problems the doctor checked that during her first appointment. The doctor did mention specifically the "stump" of the uterus. Will relay info after her surgery. Total cost will be 1400. So I'm rallying up a car wash and some other raising money ideas to get her surgery done. I'm only 24 and going through a divorce so money is tight but if you guys have any ideas for raising the money for her surgery it would be greatly appreciated!!
09-01-2016, 08:12 PM,
(09-01-2016, 12:54 PM)Lexani7 Wrote: She got fixed when she was a year old, she's 5 years right now. The doctor hasn't mentioned pyometra, I just went symptom searching in hopes to find something that's relates to her symptoms ? We urine/bladder is ok no problems the doctor checked that during her first appointment. The doctor did mention specifically the "stump" of the uterus. Will relay info after her surgery. Total cost will be 1400. So I'm rallying up a car wash and some other raising money ideas to get her surgery done. I'm only 24 and going through a divorce so money is tight but if you guys have any ideas for raising the money for her surgery it would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello, was just reading your ordeal. You can try setting one of those "gofundme" pages and share, share, share with all your friends. Happened to me once too when my dog bloated and needed surgery. These things seem to always happen at the most inopportune times. Other ideas are garage sales, baking sales, and then you can also apply for Care Credit. Sometimes, the vet who did the initial surgery may pay for a portion (but don't take my word on it). Good luck! and keep us posted on your dog's progress and on what the diagnosis is. I hope all goes well and wish a speedy recovery.