Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTI HELP!
09-23-2016, 07:05 PM,
UTI HELP!
Hi there,

I have an 8 year old shi tzu/bichon mix named Bella. She had a UTI about a month ago and was presenting with licking and agitation after she peed. We brought her to the vet and they did $400 worth of tests and then the results came back negative. A few days ago Bella started licking a lot down there again but I really wanted to avoid an unnecessary vet visit so I didn't take her to the vet. Now I am worried because it has gotten significantly worse. She licks almost every 30 seconds, there is a fishy smell coming from her "area", she is very lethargic, and today one of her legs was shaking vigorously from the pain. The only vet nearby is closed on the weekends, and it is a Friday night. She has an appointment first thing on Monday but I am afraid that will be too late. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain or fight the infection a bit using home remedies or over the counter medicine? Please help, she is in a lot of pain.

Thanks,
Amanda
09-24-2016, 11:57 AM,
RE: UTI HELP!
If there is a fishy smell, most likely the problem is in the anal glands, more than a UTI.  The glands need to be checked and then possibly expressed by your vet and if there is infection, antibiotics will be needed.You can try to apply some warm compresses in the area around the rectum where the anal glands are for about 5 but ideally 10 minutes about 3 to 4 times a day.
09-24-2016, 12:12 PM,
Is Bella spayed? If not, I would see your vet sooner than later as pyometra can be the culprit and this can be life threatening. Assuming Bella is not spayed, a fishy smell often it correlated to the anal glands. Any swelling/redness in the rear around 4 o clock and 8 o clock area by the rectum?

Another possibility is a UTI which can cause vaginitis or vaginal fold dermatitis along with the UTI, triggering licking due to the discharge. There are no home treatments for UTI's other than increasing drinking until the dog can see the vet. Since your dog is shaking and lethargic, I would see an emergency vet today just to be safe. We don't want an infection to get so bad that it goes into the blood stream and becomes more difficult to treat.
09-24-2016, 04:23 PM,
(09-23-2016, 07:05 PM)Amanda D Wrote: Hi there,

I have an 8 year old shi tzu/bichon mix named Bella. She had a UTI about a month ago and was presenting with licking and agitation after she peed. We brought her to the vet and they did $400 worth of tests and then the results came back negative. A few days ago Bella started licking a lot down there again but I really wanted to avoid an unnecessary vet visit so I didn't take her to the vet. Now I am worried because it has gotten significantly worse. She licks almost every 30 seconds, there is a fishy smell coming from her "area", she is very lethargic, and today one of her legs was shaking vigorously from the pain. The only vet nearby is closed on the weekends, and it is a Friday night. She has an appointment first thing on Monday but I am afraid that will be too late. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain or fight the infection a bit using home remedies or over the counter medicine? Please help, she is in a lot of pain.

Thanks,
Amanda
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your advice! Shortly after I posted this thread I found that Bella was bleeding significantly from her vulva. I rushed her to the emergency animal hospital. They did a urinalysis and she has a uti so they gave her a shot of anti inflammatory for some pain relief and then started her on antibiotics. Jennifer, I had her checked out last week because I suspected an anal gland infection and she had her anal sacs expressed and they ruled out the infection. And Daisy, yes she is spayed. I think she is ok now, just wanted to give an update. Thanks again for your help.
09-24-2016, 11:22 PM,
[quote pid='1405' dateline='1474748607']
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your advice! Shortly after I posted this thread I found that Bella was bleeding significantly from her vulva. I rushed her to the emergency animal hospital. They did a urinalysis and she has a uti so they gave her a shot of anti inflammatory for some pain relief and then started her on antibiotics. Jennifer, I had her checked out last week because I suspected an anal gland infection and she had her anal sacs expressed and they ruled out the infection. And Daisy, yes she is spayed. I think she is ok now, just wanted to give an update. Thanks again for your help.
[/quote]

Good to hear, thank you so kindly for providing an update. I am glad it got sorted out! Here's to best wishes that your dog recovers quickly. UTI's are a pain, but luckily they are easy to treat. Generally a urinalysis after the antibiotic may be helpful just to make sure that it's all clear.