Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New dog, not eating
01-19-2013, 02:55 AM,
New dog, not eating
We just got a springer spaniel of 3 years old and I offered him food tonight and he is categorically refusing to eat. What can I do to entice him, and when should I start worrying?
01-20-2013, 09:25 PM,
RE: New dog, not eating
Hello Best friend,
I am pretty confident this is a temporary problem. Many dogs won't eat the first night because of so many changes in their routines, new people, new smells, new noises. Is he excited? Overwhelmed? Does he look stressed? Does he startle at every noise? It's a good idea to keep changes to a minimum. Don't invite all your friends over, don't vacuum as of yet, keep your other pets away. One thing at a time. Keeping him in one room may help adjust rather than giving him all the run of the house. Let me know if he ate today. Otherwise, I can give a few tips on how to entice him to eat if needed. best wishes!
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.
05-07-2013, 12:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 12:45 AM by Laika.)
Quite a common problem... when I worked for rescue many dogs would refuse food the first day or two after going to their new homes. Too many changes cause stress, but even excitement and both emotions interfere with appetite.
06-05-2013, 10:15 PM,
Poor pooch! It will be okay, every dog goes through the same thing when they find a new home. It is very stressful, causes them to feel overwhelmed, causes anxiety, they won't eat, and may not be able to sleep very well either. Just cuddle up in your bed or on the couch and make him feel comfortable as possible! Then anytime you have the chance, play with him to assure him you are his friend and you're there to stay! Soon enough he will be bouncing all over the house!
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM,
Thanks, you were all right, he skipped eating those first few days we had him, but now has a ravenous appetite and more playful than ever. It almost feels as if he as lived in this home for a long time. Thanks all for the replies, sorry I forgot to update!