Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fenbendazole dewormer with kennel cough?
10-22-2016, 03:19 PM,
Fenbendazole dewormer with kennel cough?
Can I use Fenbendazole dewormer on a dog with kennel cough? My newly purchased 7 year old golden retriever has tapeworms  and drank from the same water dish as a smaller dog with kennel cough 2 days ago. I am wondering if I should wait a couple weeks to see if the golden retriever starts to cough and proceeded to recover for a couple of weeks or if it's ok to go ahead and give the dewormer now? Will the dewormer lower the dogs immune system and make her more likely to develop kennel cough? Thanks!
10-23-2016, 06:02 PM,
RE: Fenbendazole dewormer with kennel cough?
Hello,
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have any vaccine records for your new golden? Wondering if perhaps was already vaccinated for kennel cough, however no vaccination is 100 percent. Was the other dog actually diagnosed with kennel cough? Dogs can cough for several reasons. Generally, the incubation period (time it takes for symptoms to show up) for bordetella is about 3 to 10 days.

Fenbendazole is known for killing roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, and tapeworms, however, usually the drug of choice for tapeworms is praziquantel (Drontal). Fenbendazole kills only certain types of tapeworms while Drontal kills all types. Did your vet suggest Fenbendazole?
10-23-2016, 08:24 PM,
Thanks for the great information. I will ask the prior owner if a kennel cough vaccine was given, but I kind of doubt it since she told me she gives the shots that you can administer yourself from a feed supply store once a year. She also said she give dewormer medicine once a year in December. I just picked up the dewormer medication at Walmart. It was not prescribed by a vet. I can still return it, and look for the other kind. What is strange is that 2 days ago the tapeworms work bright white and moving around and the size of white rice kernels, but today in her feces the worms look brownish and dead and I could not see movement of the worms. So maybe the prior owner administer a dewormer medication just prior to my picking her up. I have a message to the prior owner asking if this is in fact what she did.
10-24-2016, 10:26 AM,
The prior owner did not administer any tapeworm medication and she did not give a kennel cough shot either. I am also 99% sure the kennel cough dog had kennel cough because I got the dog from SPCA, the local dog pound that tries to adopt out stray dogs and the dogs are caged five or six to a cage and drink from the same water dish. FYI, I returned the dog the next day after I noticed the dog was coughing and gagging like it has something stuck in its throat about every half an hour or so. It is very strange that the tapeworms appear to be dying off on their own. Is that possible? Would the dog eating grass somehow kill tapeworms?
10-24-2016, 02:44 PM,
If what you are seeing are really tapeworms, the rice-like things in your dog's stool are not the actual worms, but just mobile eggs sack segments that move a little bit and then dry off. These are produced often and are not a sign of the parasite dying as the actual parasite is actually attached to your dog's intestinal tract and holds on there. Gross, isn't it?!

Here are a few interesting reads:

Information about tapeworms:
http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-hea...n-dogs/949

Viewer discrection, graphic pictures of tapeworm segmments and entire tapeworm
https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Canine-Tapew...-Treatment
10-24-2016, 07:34 PM,
I would personally wait to give it just to not overload the body with medications considering that if your dog gets kennel cough, you'll need medications from your vet. That would also be a good time to ask your vet if it's OK to give it if your dog has kennel cough. Bring in a stool sample to your vet, as your dog likely may have other worms such as roundworms. Your dog has likely had tapeworms for a while, so there should no harm in waiting a few extra days considering that in most cases, they don't cause major problems other than itching under the tail.
10-25-2016, 12:47 PM,
Thanks to all for the great information. I wish I had taken a picture of the worms on the first day. On the first day they were about one quarter of an inch long and white and flat and wiggling. On the second day feces, the worms appear to be dead or dying and brownish in color. On the third day there was no sign of any worms in the feces. The Goldens prior owner said that she did not administer a dewormer prior to my picking her up. So I don't know how the feces could have cleared up. My veterinarian advised me to go ahead and give dewormer medication and said it would not reduce the chances of the dog staving off a possible kennel cough infection. So I went ahead and started the 3 Day treatment of the dewormer medicine.
10-25-2016, 01:49 PM,
Okay, I got pictures of the worm. But I don't see how to attach pictures to a post?
10-28-2016, 12:54 PM,
If you use the quick reply you can't post pictures, you need to use the regular reply button on the bottom of the thread. Let us know how your dog does! Hopefully, won't get kennel cough and will get rid of all the worms.
10-28-2016, 12:55 PM,
Actually, quick reply doesn't allow pictures, only the new reply button does, which is the black new reply button under search thread.