Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All our puppies are dying :(
11-05-2016, 04:50 PM,
All our puppies are dying :(
3 years we received a female that was 'fixed'. She wound up getting pregnant by our long haired Chihuahua. All of the puppies made it to 8 weeks and one night started getting sick, by googling all signs pointed to parvo. They were foaming at the mouth, bloody stools, and lethargic. I live in a town with no emergency vet at the time, I made a late night trip to walmart and immediately gave them all pedialyte throughout the night. The pups all died by morning, the dad began having symptoms throughout the night as well, rushed him to the vet and waited until they opened. They gave him an IV and ran tests, no conclusive results, he lived with the IV.

3 years later (after we fixed the female) we adopted a neighbors Pekingese and the male had got her pregnant. The litter was of 3 and all very healthy, my wife was going to let her mom adopt one for Christmas, They were 6 months old and all the sudden the nighmare stuck again. This time my wife was getting the kids up for school and noticed the EXACT same symptoms in all 3 of the litter, it was around 5am. I started Pedialyte until the vet opened up at 9am, 2 of the 3 died all with bloody stools, The 3rd is now at the vet and is on an IV. She seems to think it is hookworms, which we had dewormed him months ago, twice I believe. I cannot find much on multiple dogs passing away at the exact same time for anything but parvo, but once again parvo test shows negative.

Any possible insight into this would be calming, my wife is a wreck at the moment, we've gone through every possible thing we can think of, both dogs that made it to the vet in time (dad, Pekignese this morning) test negative for any kind of poisoning. 

Has anyone EVER heard of anything like this. Sad
11-05-2016, 10:28 PM,
RE: All our puppies are dying :(
I am so sorry to hear about this ordeal you and your wife are going through. With such a quick onset it sounds like something viral or toxic exposure. My first thought was also parvo, but you mention they tested negative for parvo, one must look at other possibilities. Any chances they could have been exposed to rat poison? Another concern that comes to mind are coccidia, they don't normally cause major problems, but severe, bloody diarrhea can be seen if the pups are already weakened from other parasites,or bacteria, or viruses. It's very contagious and can be transmitted quickly from one pup to another.
11-06-2016, 04:53 PM,
RE: All our puppies are dying :(
(11-05-2016, 04:50 PM)sitedude Wrote: 3 years we received a female that was 'fixed'. She wound up getting pregnant by our long haired Chihuahua. All of the puppies made it to 8 weeks and one night started getting sick, by googling all signs pointed to parvo. They were foaming at the mouth, bloody stools, and lethargic. I live in a town with no emergency vet at the time, I made a late night trip to walmart and immediately gave them all pedialyte throughout the night. The pups all died by morning, the dad began having symptoms throughout the night as well, rushed him to the vet and waited until they opened. They gave him an IV and ran tests, no conclusive results, he lived with the IV.

3 years later (after we fixed the female) we adopted a neighbors Pekingese and the male had got her pregnant. The litter was of 3 and all very healthy, my wife was going to let her mom adopt one for Christmas, They were 6 months old and all the sudden the nighmare stuck again. This time my wife was getting the kids up for school and noticed the EXACT same symptoms in all 3 of the litter, it was around 5am. I started Pedialyte until the vet opened up at 9am, 2 of the 3 died all with bloody stools, The 3rd is now at the vet and is on an IV. She seems to think it is hookworms, which we had dewormed him months ago, twice I believe. I cannot find much on multiple dogs passing away at the exact same time for anything but parvo, but once again parvo test shows negative.

Any possible insight into this would be calming, my wife is a wreck at the moment, we've gone through every possible thing we can think of, both dogs that made it to the vet in time (dad, Pekignese this morning) test negative for any kind of poisoning. 

Has anyone EVER heard of anything like this. Sad

Hemorrihagic Gastroenteritis.  Which can be a catch-all disease,  caused by many different agents. 

Adult dogs even those not vaccinated will seldom die or get extremely ill from the Parvo virus.  However, puppies can go fast, and could die before the immune system can generate an antibody titer which can be picked up in a parvo test.  The virus wouldn't last in the environment for 3 yrs, unless a carrier dog was shedding the virus. 

Were the puppies still nursing?  Or how many months after weaning before they became sick?  Did they complete their Parvo vaccination schedule?  Were the adults ever vaccinated for Parvo?

Did the Vet send out cultures to test for various bacterial causes?  Do you have wildlife such as Raccoons or other carnivores leaving behind droppings, in your yard,  one of the adults could have gotten into.  Did the Vet take a CBC blood sample, and its results? Assumption being they did.

The 3rd possibility mentioned by Jennifer is a toxin in the environment.  However, that should be a reoccurring problem, almost monthly.  Unless the toxin comes, and goes in the environment (e.g. algae water toxins).  

Extremely doubtful it's hookworms.  You wouldn't have acute symptoms in an adult, and the puppies at the same time.  That just doesn't make sense.

The 3 most likely causes are:

Parvo - still the most likely candidate.

Bacterial infection "deposited" in the environment.

Unknown toxin, not usually tested for by the Vet. 

It would be a process of elimination, while consulting with your Vet.