Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lick granuloma seperation anxiety
11-20-2016, 04:22 PM,
lick granuloma seperation anxiety
It started with regular licking of some flea bites that got out of control. Now I am seven months into a acral lick granuloma with my three year old mixed Pit Bull Terrier( has webbed feet ) . It's taking over my life. I can't leave him alone longer than 2 hours. He can lick the hair right down to something that will take me another month to get healed in a very short amount of time. I'm at my wit's end. This is a nightmare.

I'm home a lot. I don't need to leave more than a few hours every couple days, but even then, he just can't take it. The only anti lick ideas that I have are tying a sock to his collar ( he always gets our of it unless it's uncomfortably tight )

I thought keeping his leg double wrapped in medical type tape and wrap but he just licks it till slober collects underneath . So that's a temp. solution that is costly because I don't have endless roles of tape laying around.

The actual original wound is healed, the original,  but he won't leave that freakin' leg alone though. I have to keep the entire left leg ( funny how he fits that pattern ) covered.

I don't have enough energy to keep fighting this dog over self harm. I've tried Valium but it does nothing to him. I've probably spent more than a thousand bucks, 6 or so vet visits this year... Oh he has chronic ear infections too. Great fun.

He's also a coprophage addict. He's tear his paws up if he thinks he can dive bomb a pile of cat shit in time before I can stop him.

I have PTSD and am disabled because of that and only that..there is a lot of chaos going on in my house. I guess it's rubbed off onto my dog. I feel bad but I'm stuck with the fact that I mite have been instrumental in his, what I consider mental Illness.

I walk him 6 to 8 times per day. He really goes crazy at night. Sometimes letting him sleep with me helps, but he constantly jerks when he's dreaming and I have horrible insomnia so that never works.

I can't count how many times I've gotten up in the middle of the night my dog just going to pieces. Licking licking licking endlessly, I don't know what to do.

I just spent over 100 bucks for another horrible yeast infection. Painful enough to make him aggressive and less responsive. Re homing a troubled dog is next to impossible. It's not like I'm an inattentive owner, this dog rules my life, I've thought of having him put to sleep in the worst of times. That's not in the plan but I have to do something. I can't have this much restriction, worry, and cost in my life. It's not fair to either one of us.
11-22-2016, 11:54 AM,
RE: lick granuloma seperation anxiety
I am sure you have tried many things already, but what about using an Elizabethan collar on top of wrapping up the leg? Also, look up the webite dogleggs they have special leggings that may help with lickers.

Have the vets ruled out any medical problems for the licking? Some dogs may lick when they are in pain or anxious. If it's acral lick granuloma you are dealing with it is very frustrating to deal with and in many cases it starts as a dog licking a simple wound and then it gets out of hand and the dog becomes obsessed with it. There are other drug options you have such as amitryptyline, fluoxetine, or clomipramine, so if may be helpful t ohave a behavior consult to see what other options you may have.

Keeping the mind of the licking as much as possible can be helpful. Mental stimulation may help. Try stuffing a Kong with some goodies, give an interactive toy and some things to chew on. When it's time to feed food, skip the food bowl and hide his kibble around the house or in toys.
11-22-2016, 05:16 PM,
I walk him a lot, he gets plenty of exorcise, except for Winter, we both go crazy then.

" Some dogs may lick when they are in pain or anxious." He's got anxiety problems, and separation anxiety. The vet won't Rx anything, I've given him Valium with no effect. Xanax mite work better but I have no way to get it.

I just had to take him in for his tenth or so yeast ear infection. He shakes all over and drools with anxiety while in the car. I hate it for him . I guess he picks up on the anger and frustration over what is equal to a wound that never heals. I sometimes don't have time to wrap his leg, or take the time to tie a sock tight enough that it can't come off/doesn't hurt his leg.

There is a 150$ dollar device that's on the web that's sort of a velcro anti lick suit that covers both front legs. It would be ideal but I don't even have food right now ( human food ) I'm disabled so I have no money. Especially the way the vet kills me. One of these days I'm gonna find a way to get my hands on some oral fluconazole. Then I can atleast treat him chronic yeast infections.
11-22-2016, 05:51 PM,
(11-20-2016, 04:22 PM)Some guy Wrote: It started with regular licking of some flea bites that got out of control. Now I am seven months into a acral lick granuloma with my three year old mixed Pit Bull Terrier( has webbed feet ) . It's taking over my life. I can't leave him alone longer than 2 hours. He can lick the hair right down to something that will take me another month to get healed in a very short amount of time. I'm at my wit's end. This is a nightmare.

I'm home a lot. I don't need to leave more than a few hours every couple days, but even then, he just can't take it. The only anti lick ideas that I have are tying a sock to his collar ( he always gets our of it unless it's uncomfortably tight )

I thought keeping his leg double wrapped in medical type tape and wrap but he just licks it till slober collects underneath . So that's a temp. solution that is costly because I don't have endless roles of tape laying around.

The actual original wound is healed, the original,  but he won't leave that freakin' leg alone though. I have to keep the entire left leg ( funny how he fits that pattern ) covered.

I don't have enough energy to keep fighting this dog over self harm. I've tried Valium but it does nothing to him. I've probably spent more than a thousand bucks, 6 or so vet visits this year... Oh he has chronic ear infections too. Great fun.

He's also a coprophage addict. He's tear his paws up if he thinks he can dive bomb a pile of cat shit in time before I can stop him.

I have PTSD and am disabled because of that and only that..there is a lot of chaos going on in my house. I guess it's rubbed off onto my dog. I feel bad but I'm stuck with the fact that I mite have been instrumental in his, what I consider mental Illness.

I walk him 6 to 8 times per day. He really goes crazy at night. Sometimes letting him sleep with me helps, but he constantly jerks when he's dreaming and I have horrible insomnia so that never works.

I can't count how many times I've gotten up in the middle of the night my dog just going to pieces. Licking licking licking endlessly, I don't know what to do.

I just spent over 100 bucks for another horrible yeast infection. Painful enough to make him aggressive and less responsive. Re homing a troubled dog is next to impossible. It's not like I'm an inattentive owner, this dog rules my life, I've thought of having him put to sleep in the worst of times. That's not in the plan but I have to do something. I can't have this much restriction, worry, and cost in my life. It's not fair to either one of us.

Sounds like it started as a simple allergic reaction, and now has an established repetitive licking behavior added on.  So a possible plan to be discussed with your Vet:

1.  Relieve any skin itching with topical medications.  Believe Panalog is a Vet favorite. Coat with something bitter to discourage licking. If bitter apple doesn't work, then a thin film of 10% tea tree oil (i.e. always diluted to 10%), applied to the top surface of the Panalog or whatever the Vet prescribes. No bandages.  

2.  Relieve any allergic conditions with Benedryl every night (consult with Vet on appropriate dosage), and possibly short term use of low dose Prednisone for 1-2 weeks.

3.  Ask the Vet for an anti-anxiety medication, which might break the obsessive repetitive licking behavior.  If Vallium didn't, maybe some other med will help. Chances are what's causing most of the licking is itching.  If you are able to relieve the itching, and it later comes back, then you have an allergy.  With food the likely allergen.

My prior lab had reoccurring ear infections - she liked to swim in the pond during the summer, which was loaded with yeast.  Ottomax from the Vet worked wonders, and immediately.  Prevention was to take a cotton ball moistened with 20% white vinegar, and swab the ear canal, as soon as we got back home.  The vinegar drops the pH, and the yeast are unable to grow. It might be something you will want to try every other day.  Ask your Vet as to his/her opinion.
11-22-2016, 06:04 PM,
(11-22-2016, 05:16 PM)Some guy Wrote: I walk him a lot, he gets plenty of exorcise, except for Winter, we both go crazy then.

" Some dogs may lick when they are in pain or anxious." He's got anxiety problems, and separation anxiety. The vet won't Rx anything, I've given him Valium with no effect. Xanax mite work better but I have no way to get it.

I just had to take him in for his tenth or so yeast ear infection. He shakes all over and drools with anxiety while in the car. I hate it for him . I guess he picks up on the anger and frustration over what is equal to a wound that never heals. I sometimes don't have time to wrap his leg, or take the time to tie a sock tight enough that it can't come off/doesn't hurt his leg.

There is a 150$ dollar device that's on the web that's sort of a velcro anti lick suit that covers both front legs. It would be ideal but I don't even have food right now ( human food ) I'm disabled so I have no money. Especially the way the vet kills me. One of these days I'm gonna find a way to get my hands on some oral fluconazole. Then I can atleast treat him chronic yeast infections.

For the car sickness, try Meclizine tablets.  Sold at Walmart as a motion sickness drug off the shelf.  It costs under $2.  My 70 lb dog gets  50 mg/day to try to address the aftermath of Vestibular syndrome.

Overall it's dangerous to self administer human anti-anxiety drugs without the Vet's involvement.  Also drugs like fluconazole could cause liver toxicity.  The velcro anti-lick suit could be a loser.  Protect the front legs, and the dog might start licking somewhere else, or just chew up the velcro suit.  You have to find a way to get rid of the itch as the likely root cause.
11-23-2016, 11:59 PM,
Another medication for ear yeast infections that comes to my mind is Zymox otic solution, which is available over the counter. The shaking and drooling in the car can be due to motion sickness, but also due to anxiety. You can try short drives to fun places so that your dog doesn't associate car rides with going to the vet, but also calming aids such as DAP collar or DAP spray may help in some cases. For the cat litter, you can try one of those covered litter boxes, but if your dog is determined enough this might not work, so perhaps even better, you can get a hinged baby gate that allows cats to pass through or you can raise it up a few inches from the floor so the cat can easily squeeze underneath it.
12-10-2016, 01:16 PM,
I currently have Gentizol (gentamicin, betamethazone, and clortimozole ) for his ears . It seems to work so I hope I don't have to force him to ride in the car , even though every time I walk him he tries to jump in it.

Today while I was trying to attend to one of my needs in the bathroom, he started a new, new spot on his toe, as this makes lick site number three. This is gonna be harder because I can't tape his feet.

I'm trying to work with him. Do you guys think getting him neutered would maybe slow him down a little? It's 20 degrees F. and I'm not gonna be able to walk him as much as he's used to. Yet my walking him seems to be the only thing aside of eating and sleeping that he seems to be able to take. He's resting in a chair at the moment but I have to leave for an hour or so today and I just dread it.

I only gave him Valium twice, and it didn't do much. I would not want to treat a dog with benzodiazepine unless it was last resort and even then they get physically addicted to it and tolerance develops ..
12-10-2016, 01:20 PM,
I've thought about getting a cat but he's always been a bully to cats, my last cat he would pin down to the floor with his foot in an effort to play. I don't need that.

Something has to happen so both me and my dog don't go mad. You said don't get the suit, I'm cool with that but I don't think he's itchy. I chew my fingernails, have all my life, I think it's just like that, just more destructive. I think this will never go away and that's a horrible feeling because this dog rules my life, and I hate that.
12-10-2016, 01:53 PM,
Hello, welcome to the forum. Generally, neutering only changes things at hormonal levels, therefore less marking, less roaming in search of a mate, I don't see it changing a dog's energy levels. You can try to provide mental stimulation, look up brain training for dogs, there are also ebooks if yo do not want to purchase a book for ideas. Many of these games entail using your dog's kibble to put his mind to work. If he doesn't like cats, an option may be fostering a small dog for some time to see how he does and then if all goes well you may even adopt him, and if not, you can foster until you find somebody to adopt him or return to the shelter. Another option is to hire a dog walker (maybe a teen looking for work or a neighbor) if that helps keep him more tired during the day. Doggy daycare can also be quite tiring for dogs, if he gets along with other dogs, chances are high he'll forget all about the licking while there and then you pick up a tired dog. Just tossing out some options.
12-10-2016, 05:35 PM,
I can barely afford the vet and have severe anxiety and deal with PTSD. I already give the dog all I can, it's never enough. I *had* to leave today for two hours, of course he had ripped the sock off and ... off to the store for another roll of athletic tape.

When I got home he wouldn't leave me alone till I walked him. He's huge. Never was trained for a leash so by the time I get done walking him four times or so of five to ten blocks he almost pulled my arm out of socket.

I hate to say it but the only thing I can think of for either of us to get peace is to put him down. I don't have money for anything other than a basic vet. He's aggressive , so I can't really have visitors. My lifestyle means I am home a lot but even at that he can't take me being gone.

Just while ago he had left the room , so I had to go and see what he was up to ( he's learned to manipulate me ) he was on the bed tearing a pillow up. So I fed him. Just coaxing him up on the couch means getting bit at and lots of growling.

I don't know how much longer I can do this. I can't even own a dog without it turning into a disaster. He was a rescue and I've put so much into trying to accommodate him but nothing works. Thanks whatever I don't have to leave for another few days, for more than a few minutes. I was gone two hours yesterday and hour and a half today. He's not used to that, not used to not getting walked as much because of winter, and he's losing his shit. I feel horrible . I'll come out of this feeling horrible no matter what happens I am afraid.