Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone come across a natural remedy to shrink tumours?
11-24-2016, 02:41 PM,
Has anyone come across a natural remedy to shrink tumours?
Hi all,

I am writing on behalf of my friend who's dog has three tumpurs - diagnosed about a year ago and the vet thought she would be gone by now.

My friend's dog's tumour seems to have grown in her neck. Her dog doesn't like people and gets very distressed going to the vets. She is going to see her vet tomorrow to talk about it.

Does anyone know of a natural remedy - or even if one exists at all, that can shrink tumours?

Thanks,

Kris
11-25-2016, 11:11 AM,
RE: Has anyone come across a natural remedy to shrink tumours?
(11-24-2016, 02:41 PM)kris35 Wrote: Hi all,

I am writing on behalf of my friend who's dog has three tumpurs - diagnosed about a year ago and the vet thought she would be gone by now.

My friend's dog's tumour seems to have grown in her neck. Her dog doesn't like people and gets very distressed going to the vets. She is going to see her vet tomorrow to talk about it.

Does anyone know of a natural remedy - or even if one exists at all, that can shrink tumours?

Thanks,

Kris

Dumb sounding Vet.

There are various soft tissue tumors which are either lipomas (fat cell tumors) which are benign, or slow growing sarcomas which have a low level of metastasis, or none.  The only way to know what the tumors are would be to take needle aspirates.  

The only good news is that since no treatment was performed a year ago, if the tumors were caused by any of the usual doggy cancers, the dog would've been dead within weeks, or a few months.  A cancer like lymphoma will consume a dog in 4-6 weeks if left untreated. If it's a lipoma then removal is performed when it interferes with say the dog walking.  It is possible for a soft tissue cancer to produce a tumor which grows inward into the body cavity creating pressure on the organs, causing problems.  An ultrasound would reveal whether or not this is occurring.  Where surgery would be balanced against the dog's age, and ability to undergo surgery. 

There are no "natural remedies" for treating dog cancers.  Just as there are none for humans.  Sometimes you can add supplements such as fish oil, where the Omega-3 fatty acids have a mild anti-angiogenic (slightly slows down metastasis) , and anti-inflammatory effect, or in the case of CLL Leukemia Vitamin-D can help trigger cell programmed death.  But neither is a substitute for chemotherapy, or surgical removal of large tumors. 

The best case scenario is that the 3 tumors are all lipomas or fatty tumors.  Where they are either removed surgically, or if not impeding the dogs ability to walk are left alone. Again, needle aspirates are required to identify if a cancer is involved, and what type.  An ultrasound would then be useful if a cancer is identified.
11-26-2016, 08:07 AM,
Thanks DD. She won't put her old dog through any surgery (as I wouldn't). The dog is old and petrified of people as she's a rescue dog.

I'm currently reading up on turmeric - golden paste - which has some positive reviews. Also my friend had type 4 cancer four years ago and the cancer went with him doing the Gerson Therapy, which is natural. So even though I'm sceptical about alternative treatment, I am open minded as I've see the result myself in my human friend.
11-26-2016, 12:42 PM,
Golden paste, which is made of turmeric, coconut oil anda pinch of black pepper to increase absorption has been considered a potent product with anticancer properties. Will it cure cancer? We all wished it would, if it would everybody would take turmeric rather than do chemo. However, it can be a helpful addition that is worthy of adding (with the vet's consent) to the dog's supplements.

Here is Dr. Dressler's (the "cancer vet") take on turmeric (curcumin)
http://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/spice-...og-cancer/

On Facebook, there is a turmeric group where you sometimes stumble on pet owners using golden paste and posting their results. Some are promising, but again, there are no studies yet on its efficacy in treating cancers. Vets of course, are skeptic and would never recommend any natural treatments unless backed up with studies other than relying on a handful of people saying it cured their animals. Perhaps you can consult with a holistic vet if you are looking for natural supplements.

However, fear of the vet should not keep a dog from seeing the vet. There are many options for a calmer visit. More and more vets are learning the importance of fear-free visits. Some vets can come to the home. There are calming aids. Take dog to fun trips so the car ride doesn't mean vet visit. What if the dog has a life threatening emergency?
11-26-2016, 04:24 PM,
(11-26-2016, 12:42 PM)Madmax Wrote: Golden paste, which is made of turmeric, coconut oil anda pinch of black pepper to increase absorption has been considered a potent product with anticancer properties. Will it cure cancer? We all wished it would, if it would everybody would take turmeric rather than do chemo. However, it can be a helpful addition that is worthy of adding (with the vet's consent) to the dog's supplements.

Here is Dr. Dressler's (the "cancer vet") take on turmeric (curcumin)
http://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/spice-...og-cancer/

On Facebook, there is a turmeric group where you sometimes stumble on pet owners using golden paste and posting their results. Some are promising, but again, there are no studies yet on its efficacy in treating cancers. Vets of course, are skeptic and would never recommend any natural treatments unless backed up with studies other than relying on a handful of people saying it cured their animals. Perhaps you can consult with a holistic vet if you are looking for natural supplements.

However, fear of the vet should not keep a dog from seeing the vet. There are many options for a calmer visit. More and more vets are learning the importance of fear-free visits. Some vets can come to the home.  There are calming aids. Take dog to fun trips so the car ride doesn't mean vet visit. What if the dog has a life threatening emergency?
Hi. Thanks for the info. Yeah her dog does go to the vets and has to be muzzled - and the dog is on meds from the vets too.
11-27-2016, 12:41 AM,
That's fine, many dogs need muzzled at the vet, it's no biggie and vets are used to seeing dogs muzzled. Dog owners can train dogs to accept muzzles better by slipping a few treats through them and then the dog can be trained to get it put on with little struggle.

If this growth is getting bigger than definitively needs to be checked out. Anytime a lump or bump gets bigger it's something that needs evaluated. Most vets will do a fine needle aspirate to determine what it is. It might be a tumor but it also may not.

I would suggest seeing what the diagnosis is and then go from there as to treatment. Once your friend's dog has a diagnosis (name of growth) she can then then decide what kind of approach is needed, whether holistic or traditional. Postponing the vet visit because the dog is fearful and trying remedies that may act only as palliatives would be wasting time and putting the dog's health in jeopardy. Please report back with the vet's findings. Best of luck to your friend.
11-27-2016, 02:56 PM,
(11-26-2016, 08:07 AM)kris35 Wrote: Thanks DD. She won't put her old dog through any surgery (as I wouldn't). The dog is old and petrified of people as she's a rescue dog.

I'm currently reading up on turmeric - golden paste - which has some positive reviews. Also my friend had type 4 cancer four years ago and the cancer went with him doing the Gerson Therapy, which is natural. So even though I'm sceptical about alternative treatment, I am open minded as I've see the result myself in my human friend.

Again, one needs to find out whether it's a benign growth such as a fatty tumor, or a cancer, and if so what type of cancer.   If the dog is too old for surgery, and if cancer it may or may not respond to chemo depending on the type of cancer.  Or possibly respond to palliative treatment with prednisone.  Outside of the tumors you have yet to mention any other symptoms such as nausea, weight loss, etc, associated with an aggressive cancer.  All said thus far point to either a benign set of tumors, or a very slowly growing cancer.  Again, most canine cancers without treatment progress with death, within a few months after diagnosis.

Tumeric or Curcumin like most supplements have started with tissue culture studies.  The tissue culture studies graduate quickly to identifying the active chemical components of the supplement which have anti-cancer properties, and then using the extracts in later animal studies.  If shown to be potent inhibitors of cancer in tissue culture studies, up comes the claims on the Internet from supplement manufacturers.  What the supplement suppliers don't mention is that in order to get the equivalent extract concentration used in the tissue culture studies, one would have to consume enough of the original supplement to choke an elephant. 

What is known about curcumin is that it and its extracts have shown anti-cancer activity in tissue culture.  In particular it inhibits the p-glycoprotein pump which causes cancer resistance to some of the most important chemo drugs. There is some research going into that aspect with extracts being searched for. Chemo resistance involving the p-glyco pump is a huge problem in treating cancer. Curcumin inhibits TGF-alpha which promotes angiogenesis (i.e. blood vessel growth) or the spread of cancer.  It also stimulates production of MMG-13 which also promotes angiogenesis.  So in one case it inhibits, and in the other promotes the spread of cancer.  It inhibits and lowers the formation of free radicals which can help prevent cancer.  Unfortunately the generation of such radicals by the chemo drugs cytoxin, and doxorubicin is one of the ways they destroy cancer cells.  Curcumin has a high potential to interfere with chemotherapy.  It also has a warning when given to human patients with ulcers or other GI problems, along with those with a history of kidney stones.  It's poorly  absorbed in the intestine, and would require a huge dose for any effect - whatever that may be in human or dog.

My current Leukemia (CLL) 13 yr old puppy gets 3000 mg fish oil per meal, and 800 IUs of Vitamin D with the evening meal.  The Omega-3s in the fish oil have a mild anti-inflammatory, and anti-angiogenic effect.  It also normalizes lactic acid blood levels.  Which are typically elevated in cancer, and makes the human/dog feel tired and/or generally lousy. Lactic acid build up after exercise is what causes muscle cramps.  The Vitamin D in CLL cancer only, helps CLL cells to undergo cell programmed death, and doesn't interfere with his Chemo.  However if after diagnosis in Nov 2015, if I had just given fish oil + Vitamin D, without Chemo, he would've been dead in Dec 2015.  The supplements might help extend his life a month or so, or increase his quality of life a little, but alone, they would have no effect on the cancer.

As a side story on another forum, an owner came on announcing their dog had lymphoma, and she had found a holistic Vet.  The Vet told her, the dog would be given a more gentle treatment than Chemo, comprising of herbs, and Prednisone.  The owner came back close to 30 days later, announcing her dog had to be put to sleep.  The Vet told the owner:  Sometimes the treatment, and things just don't work out as hoped for.  My first thought was: No, it worked exactly as hoped for!  Treating lymphoma with Prednisone typically gives a remission of 30-45 days.  Then the cancer comes back with a vengeance.  Beware of holistic claims.