Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help urgently!!! Dog will not eat!!
11-27-2016, 09:32 AM,
Exclamation  I need help urgently!!! Dog will not eat!!
Hello forum users. I have a very urgent question!!! I have a 5+ year old maltese (we're unsure of the age, vet says 5 to 10 years old). It story starts off earlier this week when I went to my grandparents house (im 17) for holidays. She is nervous around my grandma. All was well until thanksgiving night when my grandpa gave her some table scraps (smh) then she started to act unusual. She stayed in her bed most of the day, which isnt unusual, but she didn't ask to go outside during one day. She has a history of bladder stones and they are mostly worsened with human food so I just made sure to let her out even if she didnt ask for it. Then she started not to eat, and only drinking water. Come Saturday night she is barely drinking water. Her nose is wet but her pee on the piddle pads are orange/dark brown and look sandy. She also has had diarrhea. I make sure to let her drink water and I offer her medicated dog food that is supposed to help ease/rid the bladder stones. Another thing that is happening is that she wheezes and her stomach is pumping out more when she breathes. Friday night she had fallen down the stairs during the night. She isnt moving around as she used to and i can't tell if she is hurt! She lets me pick her up no hassle. She just threw up this morning which worries me because what is she throwing up if she hasnt ate?  The final thing I want to add is that she is very emotionally attached to my mom and my mom has been gone seven days on a vacation. Is she nervous(add this with my grandma who is very strict around dogs)? 

Thank you. I would get her into veterinarian care right now but I dont have a license or a ride to get her there. I am freaking out.
11-27-2016, 12:30 PM,
RE: I need help urgently!!! Dog will not eat!!
Please have her seen as soon as you can, the wheezing and orange urine is concerning. Orange urine may stem from blood in the urine or a possible liver problem. I hope you find a ride quick. Keep us posted on what the vet says!
11-27-2016, 12:40 PM,
Many dogs get sick after the holidays from eating table scraps. Many small dogs get a bout of pancreatitis where they will not eat, vomit and lose their appetite. It could be both stress and the table scraps causing her not to eat and act sick. Small dogs are prone to dehydration faster than larger dogs so please see your vet. When pancreatitis is severe enough it can cause widespread inflammation and orange urine may be due to excessive break down of red blood cells. I wouldn't wait any longer. Get her to the vet now. .
11-27-2016, 03:20 PM,
(11-27-2016, 09:32 AM)andrea1999 Wrote: Hello forum users. I have a very urgent question!!! I have a 5+ year old maltese (we're unsure of the age, vet says 5 to 10 years old). It story starts off earlier this week when I went to my grandparents house (im 17) for holidays. She is nervous around my grandma. All was well until thanksgiving night when my grandpa gave her some table scraps (smh) then she started to act unusual. She stayed in her bed most of the day, which isnt unusual, but she didn't ask to go outside during one day. She has a history of bladder stones and they are mostly worsened with human food so I just made sure to let her out even if she didnt ask for it. Then she started not to eat, and only drinking water. Come Saturday night she is barely drinking water. Her nose is wet but her pee on the piddle pads are orange/dark brown and look sandy. She also has had diarrhea. I make sure to let her drink water and I offer her medicated dog food that is supposed to help ease/rid the bladder stones. Another thing that is happening is that she wheezes and her stomach is pumping out more when she breathes. Friday night she had fallen down the stairs during the night. She isnt moving around as she used to and i can't tell if she is hurt! She lets me pick her up no hassle. She just threw up this morning which worries me because what is she throwing up if she hasnt ate?  The final thing I want to add is that she is very emotionally attached to my mom and my mom has been gone seven days on a vacation. Is she nervous(add this with my grandma who is very strict around dogs)? 

Thank you. I would get her into veterinarian care right now but I dont have a license or a ride to get her there. I am freaking out.

It's time to ask the grandparents, or a neighbor for a ride to the nearest emergency Vet hospital.  Of course it will be expensive, and they usually require a guarantee of payment from an adult. 

Maybe bladder stones, kidney failure, or something totally unrelated, and more serious.  Your dog needs a trip to the emergency Vet for a diagnosis, and treatment.  

A dog can go without food for a few days, but not water.  With both diarrhea and vomiting the dog could become severely dehydrated. Which can become life threatening.  Requiring immediate IV or SC fluid replacement. 

The symptoms the dog is showing is due to an illness.  It has nothing to do with it missing your mother, or granny being strict.
11-27-2016, 03:27 PM,
(11-27-2016, 12:40 PM)meba Wrote: Many dogs get sick after the holidays from eating table scraps. Many small dogs get a bout of pancreatitis where they will not eat, vomit and lose their appetite. It could be both stress and the table scraps causing her not to eat and act sick. Small dogs are prone to dehydration faster than larger dogs so please see your vet. When pancreatitis is severe enough it can cause widespread inflammation and orange urine may be due to excessive break down of red blood cells. I wouldn't wait any longer. Get her to the vet now. .

The most common culprit in holiday foods is ham scrapes.  The combo of fat, plus high salt in ham causing inflammation of the pancreas.

What's not matching is the apparent lack of pain.  Usually it's severe with pancreatitis.  Regardless, the dog needs immediate Vet treatment.