Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fecal transplants?
12-19-2016, 09:27 PM,
Fecal transplants?
Hi! I'm curious if any users here have tried fecal transplants for their dog's digestive disorder. I'm a microbiologist and am developing "fecal transplants in a pill" for dogs and cats, as well as some new probiotic strains (AnimalBiome). I'd love to know more about your experience - and I'm sure others on this forum and looking for cures would like to know more as well. Also, if you're curious about having your dog's gut bacteria sequenced, feel free to contact me. So, anyone? Experiences or thoughts?
12-20-2016, 04:14 PM,
RE: Fecal transplants?
Then as a microbiologist you are fully aware any daily probiotic strain (e.g. lactobacillus) ingested, especially by healthy dogs, will be transient as it passes through the gut. Unable to complete with the resident flora, already finely tuned to the host. Doesn't matter if the serotype is human, or doggy specific.

True "fecal transplants" of freeze drying feces from another dog to give to others would be inherently dangerous. Especially to those dogs with a disease process occurring.

A dog with a digestive disorder is likely to be either from an enzyme deficiency, infection, metabolic problems, food allergies, or cancer.

The only time I have used a probiotic was with my Leukemia dog, after he came down with an opportunistic systemic infection, resulting in anorexia, and profuse watery diarrhea. Where live culture yogurt bought at the store, might have helped stabilize the small intestine, allowing his normal lactobacilii to recover. Unclear. Or did a little can pumpkin help more? All kinds of variables. Although his real recovery began, when he started eating his regular dog food again. And that didn't occur until he was given an appetite stimulant. The anorexia was the real problem. His gut, and intestinal bacteria finely in tune with the same dog food he had eaten all of his 13 yrs, returned to normal quickly. Currently if he samples "deer berries", and it upsets his gut, I have a supply of Metronidazole from the Vet at the ready. A quick counter to any foreign ingested overgrowth. Guaranteed normal stool, in 24-36 hrs. No need to experiment with "cures".

For all other digestive disorders listed above, a Probiotic isn't going to do anything. The "cure" in each case will be: Take puppy to the Vet. Obtain a specific diagnosis, and a specific treatment.

The only thing I see being investigated in the scientific literature for doggy Probiotics (not fecal transplants) which might be promising, is for chronic intestinal diarrhea conditions. Such as IBD. Where one study showed a specific probiotic provided synergy for relieving IBD inflammation when used with Prednisone, and Metronidazole. But ya better hurry up with your probiotic, because they have a 2 yr head start on yours with their own probiotic.
12-21-2016, 12:50 PM,
I had to look this up as I was not aware of this form of therapy. The only study I found as this one:

Murphy T, Chaitman J, Han E. Use of Fecal Transplant in Eight Dogs with Refractory Clostridium perfringens-Associated Diarrhea. ACVIM Proceedings 2014

In this study eight dogs with Clostridium perfringes previously treated without success using antimicrobial therapy, underwent fecal transplants. The donor stool was given as an enema. Eight out of eight dogs got better and six out of eight dogs were negative for Clostridium perfringens.

Other than this not much literature going on in the veterinary field.
12-28-2016, 04:24 PM,
Thanks so much for both of your responses! Yes, we are primarily focused on chronic diarrhea / IBD right now, since that is the main area that people have seen results with fecal transplants for their pets. Because fecal transplants from healthy pets DO work, while standard probiotics on the market DON'T work (for IBD), then we should be able to find the right combinations of bacterial strains from healthy dogs to develop as a new probiotic supplement. 

Of course, that also means we need to look at a lot of healthy dogs right now. We're trying to recruit as many dog owners as we can to sequence their dogs' gut bacteria, and use that to find the most important bacteria to target. Hopefully we can get a lot of participants!
12-29-2016, 11:04 AM,
(12-28-2016, 04:24 PM)animaltracks Wrote: Thanks so much for both of your responses! Yes, we are primarily focused on chronic diarrhea / IBD right now, since that is the main area that people have seen results with fecal transplants for their pets. Because fecal transplants from healthy pets DO work, while standard probiotics on the market DON'T work (for IBD), then we should be able to find the right combinations of bacterial strains from healthy dogs to develop as a new probiotic supplement. 

Of course, that also means we need to look at a lot of healthy dogs right now. We're trying to recruit as many dog owners as we can to sequence their dogs' gut bacteria, and use that to find the most important bacteria to target. Hopefully we can get a lot of participants!

GL in trying to market a fecal transplant supplement, as it can not be defined or standardized.

Which leaves a canine probiotic.  As stated before there are research groups defining the major bacteria groups involved in canine IBD, and attempting to test probiotics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4248192/

You could try a patent search on any probiotics named, to see what your competitors are doing. 

In the end large trials showing a probiotic can help recovery, or prevent a IBD flareup, would have to win the Vets over first.  GL in your endeavors.