Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know what this is?
01-01-2017, 01:02 PM,
Anyone know what this is?
    I found this on my 7 yr. Old pitt/chocolate lab mix. Was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's just a fatty tumor or cancer she has had a fatty tumor on her belly for about 2 years my vet said to leave out be if it wasn't bothering her. She has also had a cyst on her neck for longer that he told me to drain myself it was nothing serious we have been doing it every month to every other month for over 2 years and very recently a hematoma on her right ear which i lanced 3 times in a little over a month and it healed up. I don't know if any of these things could have something to do with it or just age. And please don't get on me for home care i have my whole life of experience doctoring my animals mainly horses. I have healed both our her feet she sliced wide open from toe through middle of pad to high ankle and there's barely a scar. I just would love a general experienced opinion to get a better understanding of what questions to ask the vet and how to better educate myself. Thank you very much everythingis greatly appreciated
01-01-2017, 01:03 PM,
RE: Anyone know what this is?

01-01-2017, 02:40 PM,
Katie.SI found this on my 7 yr. Old pitt/chocolate lab mix. Was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's just a fatty tumor or cancer she has had a fatty tumor on her belly for about 2 years my vet said to leave out be if it wasn't bothering her. She has also had a cyst on her neck for longer that he told me to drain myself it was nothing serious we have been doing it every month to every other month for over 2 years and very recently a hematoma on her right ear which i lanced 3 times in a little over a month and it healed up. I don't know if any of these things could have something to do with it or just age. And please don't get on me for home care i have my whole life of experience doctoring my animals mainly horses. I have healed both our her feet she sliced wide open from toe through middle of pad to high ankle and there's barely a scar. I just would love a general experienced opinion to get a better understanding of what questions to ask the vet and how to better educate myself. Thank you very much everythingis greatly appreciated

It's not a fatty tumor.  They come up as small soft tumors that are easily overlooked.  As they do not break the skin or have any coloring, when small.  They may grow slowly or explode in growth.  It's possible for a cancer to grow within the fatty cell tumor or "lipoma".  I'm currently awaiting cytology results for my one dog, with an inflamed, and large lipoma.  Labs are prone to lipomas which tend to proliferate from age 6 onward.

The worst case scenario the picture suggests is a possible mast cell.  Or it could be as simple as an infected insect bite, and allergic reaction to it.  You might want to see if triple antibiotic salve heals the affected area, within a week.  Check your dog's body for other undiscovered like sores.  Also check for any swollen lymph nodes.   If the area remains red, doesn't respond to the antibiotic salve, and/or starts to swell up as a nodule,  then you need to have it seen by a Vet.  Also if you find other like sores, and swollen lymph nodes, it's time to see the Vet.  Where the Vet would likely perform a needle aspirate to send off to a pathology lab.  And run a CBC/Chem panel to check for abnormalities.
01-01-2017, 04:07 PM,
Thank you im going to give it a try i was thinking the same with alcohol first. Im just very worried this is my kid n im very broke at the moment so vet if absoulte necessary. I appreciate the info.
01-02-2017, 09:17 AM,
I'd avoid the alcohol. Likely to cause more skin irritation. Antibiotic salve is the route to go. If in an area where the dog can lick off the salve, then go to one of the health/vitamin stores, and buy a small bottle of tea tree oil. It's extremely astringent or bitter tasting. Dilute 1 part tea tree oil +4 parts water. Then apply a thin film of it to the top of the salve, and never directly on the open skin. That will stop any licking.