Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vomiting thick yellow undigested food
01-02-2017, 12:32 PM,
Exclamation  Vomiting thick yellow undigested food
I have recently come to own a kelpie approximately 5 years old. Tonight she has vomited a thick, yellow, undigested food. She ate nothing out of the ordinary just dry biscuits. Prior to vomiting she was drinking lots of water. Her behaviour was as normal, possibly walking around a little more than usual. 
Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do? 
I'm extremely worried as my partner and I have to work tomorrow all day and will not be able to monitor her
01-03-2017, 01:43 PM,
RE: Vomiting thick yellow undigested food
Was it just a one-time vomit? If yes, and she is pretty much back to normal, you can feed her a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled chicken for a few days and then gradually reintroduce her to her normal diet. If the biscuits are something new you have added to her diet, I wouldn't give them anymore. I know you said she hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary, but sometimes dogs eat the oddest things when we are not looking like a small button, a string or a chunk of hair on the carpet. These little things can trigger vomiting. Here are some tips on fasting/bland diet for future references, but these tips are to be used only for mild, self-limiting upset stomach, not repeated, severe bouts lasting several days, which can indicate an underlying problem that needs vet attention. :
http://www.dogsupsetstomach.com/remedies...-remedies/
01-04-2017, 10:56 AM,
RE: Vomiting thick yellow undigested food
(01-02-2017, 12:32 PM)NatalieAxam93 Wrote: I have recently come to own a kelpie approximately 5 years old. Tonight she has vomited a thick, yellow, undigested food. She ate nothing out of the ordinary just dry biscuits. Prior to vomiting she was drinking lots of water. Her behaviour was as normal, possibly walking around a little more than usual. 
Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do? 
I'm extremely worried as my partner and I have to work tomorrow all day and will not be able to monitor her

If she only threw up once,  she may have consumed something, you didn't see, which upset her stomach (e.g. paper wrapper out of the garbage, grass, etc).  I usually continue feeding as normal, unless they throw up a 2nd time, or act anorexic.  You might want to consult with you Vet as to the dose to give of Zantac.  Where blocking the stomach acid a little, for a few days, might help. 

If she continues to throw up, then you definitely need to head to the Vet.  If the dog drinks water, vomits, drinks more water, vomits, then there is the potential of a intestinal blockage, which would be an emergency.

If the dog hasn't vomited since, with normal activity/behavior, but is anorexic, then my favorite try is rice plus a small amount of canned tuna, along with the juice, mixed into a little of the dog food.  A dog usually can't resist the smell, and taste of tuna fish.  If still anorexic after a couple of days, then again it's time to make a Vet appt.

The yellow bile color means the food never got past the upper 1/3 of the small intestine, before being refluxed up.