Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
01-08-2017, 02:43 PM,
#1
Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
Last Thursday, December 29th, I adopted a 10 week old puppy from a  humane shelter. The next day I noticed some sneezing but she was eating, drinking, and playing just fine. That following Monday morning, she woke me up with a goose-like honking cough - OF COURSE worried dog mommy freaks out and immediately takes her to the vet where we had a free visit (due to the adoption policy). 
The vet wrote it off as a mild case of kennel cough and prescribed her some clavamox.
The next day she was still eating and drinking - however she was slowly becoming more lethargic. 
I figured I would give the antibiotic a couple days to work; but, Wednesday she threw up twice. I was told this can be a common side effect of the Clavamox, so I called the vet again and she switched me to an amoxicillin oral dosage.

Honey (my puppy) seemed to be doing somewhat better - still lethargic and not wanting to eat much. I began syringing her pedialite and baby food to make sure she didn't dehydrate or become hypoglycemic. 
Friday morning her coughing was seeming to quiet down, but that night I just felt off. I was up all night researching and driving myself crazy - at 4 AM I decided I was going to take her to a different vet to get a second opinion. 

This vet diagnosed my sweet girl with bacterial pneumonia - in the x-rays her whole left lung was pretty much filled with fluid, but her vitals otherwise seemed pretty good. They did not think she needed immediate hospitalization so they gave her an antibiotic shot of Baytril and sent me with some to give her every 24 hours.

Again - I was worried. She is only 10 weeks old and all I can find online about puppy pneumonia is horror stories!! I need some positive stories or input.

Last night, (Saturday Jan 7) her breathing seemed SLIGHTLY off. But because she's so little, I was panicking.
I took her in to the ER Vet *expensive I know* and they took her back immediately. They wanted to keep her overnight and connect her to an IV and give her oxygen treatments (they did bloodwork as well to rule out parvo). I'm sure they did more than that, but at 1 AM it was a little difficult to keep everything straight.
It was $800 to keep her for ONE night - $150 more to give her the oxygen treatments.
I KNOW I am probably going to get responses saying I paid too much, but there are only two ER Vets in the city and I went to the one with the best reviews - I didn't know how else to pick. Furthermore, I'm not sure that the humane shelter can do anything for her illness if I called them? (HELP W THIS TOO)

When I asked the vet if she was going to be okay, she told me that it's always hard to tell in puppies, but she seems pretty good - she isnt refusing to walk around or eat - and her electrolytes and inflammatory response are up. Furthermore, her respiratory rate went down from 60 to 40 and that was fantastic - via the doctor. The only thing she seemed concerned about on the phone this morning was that her oxygen levels when taken off the machine were not staying up like they hoped. She'd only been there for about 6 hours and it is currently 1:40 pm on Sunday Jan 8. I haven't received another phone call and they said "no news is good news." 
I'm going to call back myself around 4.

I can afford to keep her there for ONE more night, however I'm getting worried that all the pneumonia stories I'm seeing online end in death. Of course it is worth every penny, but is there any possibility she will make it through this? Can anyone give me some insight or some opinions based on my story and the updates from the vet. I'll continue updating as I get more info. PLEASE help!!!
Reply
01-08-2017, 05:20 PM,
#2
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
it does sound like it started off as kennel cough. Which starts as a virus infection, followed by a Bordetella bacteria infection. All of the humane shelters seem to be incubators for kennel cough. My now 13 yr old Leukemia puppy, adopted at 6 weeks, was starting to blow bubbles out of his nose 24-36 hrs after I got him home. The little fella didn't feel too good about things. He was in a litter of 6 puppies brought in just 2 days before to the shelter.

The Baytril should eliminate the bacteria infection. It along with Clavamox are the primary antibiotics used for respiratory infections. The problem being the fluid on the lungs. Where oxygen treatments are the treatment of choice. If you can't afford another day of hospitalization, then you will be waiting for the lung fluid to be absorbed. Preferably before puppy's heart gives out. You would need to try to keep the puppy calm. Try to keep the respiration rate down. Not to lay on one side or in the same position for long periods of time.

Since puppy is still eating, that's an encouraging sign. Before taking puppy home, ask the Vet if a diuretic to increase re-absorption of the lung fluid is appropriate. The lower respiration rate seems to indicate some progress is being made with the lung fluid. Overall it sounds like puppy is recovering, where an extra night on oxygen would speed up recovery. Infections in the lung can take time to completely clear up. There's a lot of folds or hiding places for the bugs. First though, the fluid has to get drained out.

I would suggest asking the E Vet if there was any way they could lower the charge for one more night on oxygen. The $800 isn't that expensive for E Vets, and hospitalization. Also part of the $800 were the diagnostics that first night. My Leukemia dog easily burned $1500 for a one night stay last April due to infection.
Reply
01-08-2017, 06:00 PM,
#3
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
Wow! Thank you for such an in depth response.

The hospital called me again today around 3 pm and informed me that they had willingly taken her off of the oxygen for about three hours and her oxygen levels were staying up by themselves. They also said she was eating and being really alert.

As far as a puppy's heart giving out - is this an extreme possibility? They seem pretty optimistic talking to me on the phone about me possibly taking her home tonight. I am concerned about the fluid though - if I kept her there another night it doesn't seem as though they would keep her on oxygen more since she has been off of it all day today.
They said for a second night my total would jump up to $1200 - less than doubling the $800 - but still pricey for me. I'm willing to do it if they feel it's extremely necessary, but they are acting like she is progressing well. Also, I'm interested in getting another x-ray to see how the fluid is progressing but since my funds are limited - I'm wondering if it's more frugal to wait a few days to see how the antibiotics are working on it.
Reply
01-08-2017, 06:07 PM,
#4
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
(01-08-2017, 05:20 PM)dragondawg Wrote: it does sound like it started off as kennel cough.  Which starts as a virus infection, followed by a Bordetella bacteria infection.  All of the humane shelters seem to be incubators for kennel cough.  My now 13 yr old Leukemia puppy, adopted at 6 weeks, was starting to blow bubbles out of his nose 24-36 hrs after I got him home.  The little fella didn't feel too good about things.  He was in a litter of 6 puppies brought in just 2 days before to the shelter.  

The Baytril should eliminate the bacteria infection.  It along with Clavamox are the primary antibiotics used for respiratory infections. The problem being the fluid on the lungs.  Where oxygen treatments are the treatment of choice.  If you can't afford another day of hospitalization,  then you will be waiting for the lung fluid to be absorbed. Preferably before puppy's heart gives out.  You would need to try to keep the puppy calm.  Try to keep the respiration rate down. Not to lay on one side or in the same position for long periods of time.

Since puppy is still eating, that's an encouraging sign. Before taking puppy home, ask the Vet if a diuretic to increase re-absorption of the lung fluid is appropriate.  The lower respiration rate seems to indicate some progress is being made with the lung fluid.  Overall it sounds like puppy is recovering, where an extra night on oxygen would speed up recovery.  Infections in the lung can take time to completely clear up.  There's a lot of folds or hiding places for the bugs. First though, the fluid has to get drained out.

I would suggest asking the E Vet if there was any way they could lower the charge for one more night on oxygen. The $800 isn't that expensive for E Vets, and hospitalization. Also part of the $800 were the diagnostics that first night.  My Leukemia dog easily burned $1500 for a one night stay last April due to infection.

Wow! Thank you for such an in depth response. 

The hospital called me again today around 3 pm and informed me that they had willingly taken her off of the oxygen for about three hours and her oxygen levels were staying up by themselves. They also said she was eating and being really alert.

As far as a puppy's heart giving out - is this an extreme possibility? They seem pretty optimistic talking to me on the phone about me possibly taking her home tonight. I am concerned about the fluid though - if I kept her there another night it doesn't seem as though they would keep her on oxygen more since she has been off of it all day today. 
They said for a second night my total would jump up to $1200 - less than doubling the $800 - but still pricey for me. I'm willing to do it if they feel it's extremely necessary, but they are acting like she is progressing well. Also, I'm interested in getting another x-ray to see how the fluid is progressing but since my funds are limited - I'm wondering if it's more frugal to wait a few days to see how the antibiotics are working on it.
Reply
01-09-2017, 11:07 AM,
#5
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
If the E Vet is optimistic, and she's off of oxygen, then it sounds like puppy is on the road to recovery. Possibly with the previous liquid filled lung returning to normal(?). Ask the Vet if they believe the liquid has been drained from the lung. Or what they hear when listening to the breathing.

Take puppy home, and try to keep the critter calm. Chasing squirrels not allowed for the next few days! Monitor its alertness, appetite, and respiration rate. If in the unlikely event a relapse, then call the E Vet immediately. Otherwise ... exhale, and relax. It appears the worst is over.
Reply
01-09-2017, 06:29 PM,
#6
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
(01-09-2017, 11:07 AM)dragondawg Wrote: If the E Vet is optimistic, and she's off of oxygen, then it sounds like puppy is on the road to recovery.  Possibly with the previous liquid filled lung returning to normal(?).  Ask the Vet if they believe the liquid has been drained from the lung.  Or what they hear when listening to the breathing.  

Take puppy home, and try to keep the critter calm. Chasing squirrels not allowed for the next few days!  Monitor its alertness, appetite, and respiration rate.  If in the unlikely event a relapse, then call the E Vet immediately.  Otherwise ... exhale, and relax.  It appears the worst is over.

My vet told me she was good to come home after 24 hours on IV, nebulizers, and only needed 8 hours of oxygen treatment.
She is very much the puppy I originally met - of course I'm limiting her activities and keeping her on the antibiotics.
However she works herself up whining when I have to leave. Granted I'm only gone for about three hours total a day.
I'm worried she will hurt herself more but I'm not sure what to do to keep her from whining.

Furthermore,
She still has a wet cough - I'm assuming this is normal considering the pneumonia was pretty severe? Her appetite is up, she is wanting to play although I'm not letting her, and her respiratory rate is down unless she has a coughing fit but even then they are not violent. 
Reply
01-10-2017, 09:55 AM,
#7
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
Call and ask the Vet if there are any OTC expectorant medications to help her cough up any mucus from the lungs, and/or suppress the cough. There was one brand/product I can't remember which was recommended for my kennel cough puppy 13 yrs ago. A liquid that I mixed in with some milk. But check with the Vet first, as to what would be safe to give.

Per separation anxiety, try to interest puppy in a toy, or rawhide chip to chew on. Distract puppy away from your leaving to some other object. Make your departure a rewarding experience for puppy. Also for some dogs being in a large house/apartment all by themselves is too much space. If Puppy starts to trash your house, confine it within a small bedroom. More of a "Den" like setting for the critter.
Reply
01-10-2017, 10:25 PM,
#8
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
You have received some excellent advice! I hope your pup is on her way to recovery. From your description it sounds like she is. Make sure to keep your pup well hydrated encouraging her to drink so that those secretions are easier to bring out. Just a bit of dehydration can thicken them up. Warm broth (with no onion or garlic) added to food may help loosen up any congestion. Ask your vet if he/she thinks this can help, perhaps your vet may want you to use something more effective like an expectorant.

Coughing is good as it's part of recovery and your need to get everything out. When my dog had severe kennel cough, the vet told me to turn a hot shower, close the door and have my dog breath the vapors to loose up those secretions, ask your vet if this could help and his/her thoughts of you trying out a nebulation machine and coupage (your vet will likely have to a demo for this, if he/she thinks it's useful). I would think x-rays are a good idea just to confirm that there are improvements and keep track of recovery until everything looks clear. Here are best wishes for a speedy recovery (these things unfortunately take time!)
Reply
01-10-2017, 10:30 PM,
#9
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
I don't have much advice to give, but here are some tips from a veterinarian specializing in internal medicine:

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/man...9&pageID=2

I hope the best for you,

Madmax
Reply
03-09-2017, 12:24 AM,
#10
RE: Puppy Pneumonia, Please Help!!
(01-08-2017, 02:43 PM)swhit Wrote: Last Thursday, December 29th, I adopted a 10 week old puppy from a  humane shelter. The next day I noticed some sneezing but she was eating, drinking, and playing just fine. That following Monday morning, she woke me up with a goose-like honking cough - OF COURSE worried dog mommy freaks out and immediately takes her to the vet where we had a free visit (due to the adoption policy). 
The vet wrote it off as a mild case of kennel cough and prescribed her some clavamox.
The next day she was still eating and drinking - however she was slowly becoming more lethargic. 
I figured I would give the antibiotic a couple days to work; but, Wednesday she threw up twice. I was told this can be a common side effect of the Clavamox, so I called the vet again and she switched me to an amoxicillin oral dosage.

Honey (my puppy) seemed to be doing somewhat better - still lethargic and not wanting to eat much. I began syringing her pedialite and baby food to make sure she didn't dehydrate or become hypoglycemic. 
Friday morning her coughing was seeming to quiet down, but that night I just felt off. I was up all night researching and driving myself crazy - at 4 AM I decided I was going to take her to a different vet to get a second opinion. 

This vet diagnosed my sweet girl with bacterial pneumonia - in the x-rays her whole left lung was pretty much filled with fluid, but her vitals otherwise seemed pretty good. They did not think she needed immediate hospitalization so they gave her an antibiotic shot of Baytril and sent me with some to give her every 24 hours.

Again - I was worried. She is only 10 weeks old and all I can find online about puppy pneumonia is horror stories!! I need some positive stories or input.

Last night, (Saturday Jan 7) her breathing seemed SLIGHTLY off. But because she's so little, I was panicking.
I took her in to the ER Vet *expensive I know* and they took her back immediately. They wanted to keep her overnight and connect her to an IV and give her oxygen treatments (they did bloodwork as well to rule out parvo). I'm sure they did more than that, but at 1 AM it was a little difficult to keep everything straight.
It was $800 to keep her for ONE night - $150 more to give her the oxygen treatments.
I KNOW I am probably going to get responses saying I paid too much, but there are only two ER Vets in the city and I went to the one with the best reviews - I didn't know how else to pick. Furthermore, I'm not sure that the humane shelter can do anything for her illness if I called them? (HELP W THIS TOO)

When I asked the vet if she was going to be okay, she told me that it's always hard to tell in puppies, but she seems pretty good - she isnt refusing to walk around or eat - and her electrolytes and inflammatory response are up. Furthermore, her respiratory rate went down from 60 to 40 and that was fantastic - via the doctor. The only thing she seemed concerned about on the phone this morning was that her oxygen levels when taken off the machine were not staying up like they hoped. She'd only been there for about 6 hours and it is currently 1:40 pm on Sunday Jan 8. I haven't received another phone call and they said "no news is good news." 
I'm going to call back myself around 4.

I can afford to keep her there for ONE more night, however I'm getting worried that all the pneumonia stories I'm seeing online end in death. Of course it is worth every penny, but is there any possibility she will make it through this? Can anyone give me some insight or some opinions based on my story and the updates from the vet. I'll continue updating as I get more info. PLEASE help!!!

Hi!

My dog also had pnuemonia before and he was able to get over it. He was 7 months old that time.
We took care of him at home and followed the prescription meds and antibiotics. We also included apple cider in his water to help in clearing out the infection. (should be with the approval of the vet).

Just keep your dog hydrated and everything will be alright. Wink
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)