Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog throws up at night
01-19-2017, 11:28 AM,
Dog throws up at night
We have a 10 month old hound mix we got from the Humane Society.  For the past month he has been throwing up at night.  We took him to the Vet and they took xrays and did not see anything.  He has been pooping and peeing regularly and does not show any signs of being sick or distress.  He did not react to the Vet feeling around his stomach area.  The Vet said to feed him an easy to digest food.  They gave us Royal Canin dry food.  We feed him only this for 10 days and after 2 times throwing up at first, he didn’t throw up again.  We eased him into his regular food Purina Puppy, and the vomiting at night started again.  We got a different food from the Vet, but his has vomited 3 of the last 4 nights.
It is only at night and seems to be 4-5 hours after feeding.  We started to feed him ¾ cup at 5am, noon, and 5pm, and last night he threw up at 10:30pm.  If his last meal is at say 8pm, he throws up between 1-2am.
Again, he is showing no other signs of being sick, has lots of energy and is pooping and peeing regularly.
Anybody have any ideas on how we should go forward?
01-19-2017, 11:50 AM,
RE: Dog throws up at night
When he throws up at night, is it always yellow bile? Generally, vomiting at night/early morning only is consistent with bilious vomiting syndrome, basically, too much acid build-up from the stomach being empty. Many dog owners find that giving a late snack prior to going to bed may help. Many vets prescribe famotidine, ranintidine or omeprazole for this. Since it seems like your dog vomits at night regardless of the diet provided, it sounds like empty stomach syndrome, something to discuss with your vet and ask it anti-acids may be helpful. You can try feeding later at night/giving a late night snack and see if it works.
01-19-2017, 11:55 AM,
Just saw you mentioned that you fed him later at 8PM and then he vomits at 1-2. Since the vomiting seems to happen 5-6 hours post meals, you can try a really late snack like at 11-12 PM, that way he gets to eat by the time his stomach is going too long being empty. And then there are the anti-acids that you can discuss with your vet. I would let him know that despite the dietary change he is still vomiting and what the next step is.
01-19-2017, 12:46 PM,
He throws up what looks like his last meal, so I dont think the issue is empty stomach.
When we cant be at home because of work he has gone 9 hours between meals and has not thrown up,
01-19-2017, 03:41 PM,
You need to have the Vet run a CBC/Chem panel. So as to eliminate any metabolic, or other serious causes of the vomiting. Note color, and whether there's any blood or mucus in the vomit, when it occurs. Also tell the Vet, the frequency the vomiting occurs, how soon after eating it occurs, and/or the time it typically occurs.

There's a smorgasbord of causes ranging from cancer, metabolic disease, IBS, down to parasites, and food allergy. While waiting to get into the Vet, you might consider giving the dog Prilosec, to see if that helps. Give it in the early evening. Consult with your Vet per dosage. Even if Prilosec seems to help, you still need the lab tests performed. To make sure a more serious condition isn't being covered up by the stomach acid blocker.
01-19-2017, 03:52 PM,
Oops just saw the previous posts in the thread.

Since it's a puppy, and puppy did much better on the Royal Canin, it sounds like a food allergy. Where the Purina has something in it, that the Royal Canin did not.
01-21-2017, 12:24 PM,
Seeing that your dog vomits food and not bile, I agree with dragondawg. that issue may be allergies. If your dog did good on Royal Canine I would stick with that if it helped. Was it Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Fiber Response? My dog used to vomit too and we switched to a diet with a bit more fiber and adding plain canned pumpkin to his meals also helped reduce the episodes considerably. It seems like the added fiber helped increases motility which gets the food moving forward.

It'a a bit odd though that it happens at night mostly, while you can go to work for 9 hours and no vomiting. Also, if your dog is vomiting his food after 5-6 hours of eating let your vet know as this information can help. Generally, food should have been digested and out of the stomach by that time. It's important to get to the root of the problem.
01-23-2017, 10:19 AM,
Thank everyone for your replies.
We went back and the Vet was out of the Royal Canin, so they gave us Hills Prescription Digestive Care i/d.
I did some more research on the internet and found people stating the issue could be empty stomach.
I did not think this was it since he can be in the crate for over 9 hours and not throw up, but we changed his feeding schedule to early morning, 4pm and 9:30pm.
He has not thrown up for 4 days.
Not sure if its the new schedule or the new food, but we will continue with what we are doing now and see how it goes.
01-23-2017, 12:34 PM,
My one dog when younger just to urp up at 3AM in the morning due to stomach acid. Zantac 75 mg given in the evening solved that problem. I always have fed mine high protein/high fat doggy food. Which means their stomachs got less volume.

You could try easing into another food brand than Purina later on, to see if the problem comes back or not. The Purina puppy chow has corn meal as a primary ingredient. Some dogs do ok on corn based foods, some don't. You might want to try a brand which substitutes in rice for the corn.