Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried about paw pad lump
02-23-2013, 12:27 AM,
Worried about paw pad lump
So my Rottie has been limping on and off lately and I attributed it to thorns, tonight though at a closer inspection, I found this raised lump, it's small and looks like the continuation of the paw pad. Any ideas? I am worried about cancer because I read black dogs get it more and she's a Rottie. Any help appreciated, see picture please!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-02-2013, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2013, 11:45 PM by Ginger11.)
RE: Worried about paw pad lump
It looks small, so I am guessing it shouldn't be nothing major to worry about. My dog had one and the vet said that if it's less than 2 centimeters, it 's a good sign. Did your vet do a biopsy or a fine needle aspirate?
03-03-2013, 04:07 PM,
Any news on what it turned out to be? I'm curious about how your doggie is doing.
10-22-2013, 12:44 PM,
My dog had a lump on her paw, all vets said surgery was the only way to remove it, but I decided to try giving turmeric as I read others having success with it... well the lump just shrunk and eventually disappeared.
http://alexadry.hubpages.com/hub/Turmeri...-and-Risks
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.
06-05-2017, 03:58 PM,
Hi Alexdry,

My lil yorkie has a mass next to paw pad, was this what your dog had. My vet doesn't think it looks like cancer and is having me do Epsom salts for now but it appears to be getting bigger.
I'm thinking of adding 125 mg of organic turmeric to her food.
Any thoughts
06-05-2017, 04:51 PM,
Possibilities include: A cyst which might have to be drained, or removed. An abscess or allergic swelling to an insect bite. Finally the potential for a cancerous growth involving mast cell, or some form of one of the sarcomas, capable of metastasis, or a benign growth.

Outside of the Epsom salts helping prevent bacteria infection of an open wound, while burning surrounding healthy tissue, it's unlikely to have any effect on cysts, and certainly not on cancerous tumors.

Did the Vet perform a needle aspirate? If not, any growth that is being monitored, and grows quickly should be aspirated ASAP. If it were to turn out to be cancer, the earlier the growth is removed, the better the outcome. Adding turmeric to the food will have no effect on cancer or benign growths be they cysts or other.
12-23-2017, 05:15 PM,
Interesting studies on turmeric are coming out. Turmeric might not cure a malignant cancer making it magically disappear, but it looks promising. Of course, a vet should be sought at once if there are any lumps and they must be aspirated to rule out cancer, the earlier a cancer is found the better the prognosis. My dog had a cancer on his leg and it had to be surgically removed to prevent it from spreading.

"Overall, our review shows that curcumin can kill a wide variety of tumor cell types through diverse mechanisms. Because of numerous mechanisms of cell death employed by curcumin, it is possible that cells may not develop resistance to curcumin-induced cell death. Furthermore, its ability to kill tumor cells and not normal cells makes curcumin an attractive candidate for drug development. Although numerous animal studies and clinical trials have been done, additional studies are needed to gain the full benefit from curcumin."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758121/

"Curcumin is a diferuloylmethane derived from the Indian spice, turmeric (popularly called "curry powder") that has been shown to interfere with multiple cell signaling pathways, including cell cycle (cyclin D1 and cyclin E), apoptosis (activation of caspases and down-regulation of antiapoptotic gene products), proliferation (HER-2, EGFR, and AP-1), survival (PI3K/AKT pathway), invasion (MMP-9 and adhesion molecules), angiogenesis (VEGF), metastasis (CXCR-4) and inflammation (NF-kappaB, TNF, IL-6, IL-1, COX-2, and 5-LOX). The activity of curcumin reported against leukemia and lymphoma, gastrointestinal cancers, genitourinary cancers, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, head and neck squamous cell carcinoma, lung cancer, melanoma, neurological cancers, and sarcoma reflects its ability to affect multiple targets."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18462866

"Curcumin is a natural product isolated from the spice turmeric. Both compounds have been shown to have antiangiogenic properties in vitro and in vivo."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15723631

"Curcumin is exceedingly interesting for dogs with cancer. It is one of the core ingredients I use in cancer supplement programs for my patients and I have seen literal shrinkage of different dog lumps, like hemangiosarcomas of the skin, fatty tumors (lipomas) , fibrosarcomas, and plasmacytomas. I rely on it a lot." Dr. Dressler-the cancer vet
https://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/spice...og-cancer/