Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this lump?
02-05-2017, 07:42 PM,
What is this lump?
Hi, I am new here and this is my first post.

My dog, Caffrey, is 13 years old and about 3 weeks ago he got a small lump on his head. Over the last 3 weeks the lump has gotten larger.  I am not sure what it is. When I press on the lump gently, he does not seem in pain. The lump is firm, not hard.  Also, about 4 months ago, he developed a similar size lump at the lower end of his right rib cage, that has similar characteristics. I will also add that during the last 1.5 years he has become mostly blind and deaf.  Caffrey is a Manchester Terrier mix.  Here are some photos of the lump on his head.  I appreciate any insights or suggestions you might have. Thank you.

[Image: jB8yjHHjheb3teP1ra9gMeUO5lHTdPgZvCTbNKuS...68-h623-no]
[Image: jVofZFdXcBsEm58k99mtXLnc9ZSODX8iApETttwU...73-h630-no]
[Image: WiKPruAXetLVERNDFP8Z-_FnOr14h0uXgiIJS8U8...73-h630-no]
02-06-2017, 10:39 AM,
RE: What is this lump?
Firm mass tumors generally fall into what is known as sarcomas, involving soft tissue. Of which there are several types. They may be benign, or cancerous. If cancerous, they may or may not be metastatic. It's not unusual for geriatric dogs to develop sarcomas.

In your case the questions to be answered is: What type of sarcoma is involved? The two tumor sites could be the same or different type of sarcoma growth. The only way to know for sure is to have a Vet take a needle aspirate from the two sites, and send the samples off to a pathology lab. If the tumors are accelerating in growth rate, the Vet will usually recommend they be removed, and samples are sent to a pathology lab. Sometimes needle aspirates misidentify the type of tumor.

In summary: Consult with your Vet so as to identify the two growths.
03-15-2017, 01:33 AM,
RE: What is this lump?
It's better to run some tests on him isipwater to check if it's something to be worried about. As for me, my dog also developed a big lump on his head. It is also painless since he is not complaining when he bumps it. Eventually, the lump gradually disappeared over time.
Since your dog is almost blind, there is a high probability that it's connected with the lump.