Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice: Stubborn Giardia??
03-12-2017, 01:49 PM,
Advice: Stubborn Giardia??
My 5 1/2 month old Cockapoo puppy has been fighting Giardia since 10 weeks old. She just finished round 4 of Panacur+Metro+Probiotics, but her stool is still loose. We go for another test In 2 weeks but I'm concerned we're going to get another "positive". I've followed my vet's directions to the letter.... has anyone else experienced this? Is 4 rounds of treatment fairly normal? I'm so concerned this is going to lead to long-term health problems for her, but don't know what else to do or if this is normal and eventually, her body will fight it off. I'd appreciate any insights!!!!
03-12-2017, 05:55 PM,
RE: Advice: Stubborn Giardia??
The treatment is the standard.

Question: Have you been picking up the feces, disinfecting the area afterwards, and discarding the waste in an area puppy can not get into?

It's possible puppy could be reinfecting itself from its own feces, over, and over. Ask your Vet about frequent bathing in clorhexidine or other disinfectant.

Puppy is unlikely to be able to fight it off without the Panacur+Metrondiazole. Ask your Vet if Endosorb added in might help. It absorbs intestinal toxins. It might be a good add to the Panacur+Metro.

Ask your Vet if puppy is still positive, if other meds should be tried.

http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/def...diasis.pdf

Probiotics of active yogurt cultures, and a little canned pumpkin might help.

Unlikely there will be long term health problems. However, short term a growing puppy isn't getting good absorption on nutrition. And continued infection if untreated, could end with a systemic infection spreading from the intestine. That won't be a problem as long as puppy is being treated.

Once "cured" puppy can still be a carrier of Giardia. Capable of causing infection in other dogs.
03-12-2017, 09:06 PM,
Thanks so much, this is super helpful! I've been disinfecting and disposing in a puppy-safe area, and the vet told me to clean her with baby wipes immediately after she goes, so I've been doing that as well. I'll make sure to mention the bathing and other medication if she is positive for it again. Thanks!
03-13-2017, 12:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017, 02:38 AM by Admin.)
(03-12-2017, 01:49 PM)Nollie80388 Wrote: My 5 1/2 month old Cockapoo puppy has been fighting Giardia since 10 weeks old. She just finished round 4 of Panacur+Metro+Probiotics, but her stool is still loose. We go for another test In 2 weeks but I'm concerned we're going to get another "positive". I've followed my vet's directions to the letter.... has anyone else experienced this? Is 4 rounds of treatment fairly normal? I'm so concerned this is going to lead to long-term health problems for her, but don't know what else to do or if this is normal and eventually, her body will fight it off. I'd appreciate any insights!!!!

Hi there!

Aww, such a poor pup. It must be stressing for her. The treatment for this is can be for the long term because Giardia can recur from time to time. This intestinal problem can be tough to beat because of the nasty protozoan parasite. The dosage depends on the severity of the infestation.  Just continue feeding him probiotics because it can really help.
When my dog has chronic diarrhea before, my friend recommended me to change the vitamins of the puppy so  I got an immune booster vitamin from a store which I regularly feed my dog while he's on treatments.
Your pup will surely recover with it. Just be sure he's always hydrated and he's getting the right dose of treatments. Smile
03-13-2017, 01:16 AM,
I know of a neighbor who had treated her dog for 5 times, yet it kept recurring. It finally ended when she steam cleaned everything, gave her dog frequent baths to remove any traces of feces, emptied his anal sacs, and leashed walked him every day for a month. Probiotics helped and so did a diet with fiber.