Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fleas and ticks medicine for dogs
03-16-2017, 03:40 AM,
fleas and ticks medicine for dogs
Hi friends, I'm Kenneth and I need some suggestion or advice to help me. My dog is not feeling well and I think because of the fleas and ticks, I really love my pet for almost 10 years since we have been together and it's hard for me to see that he is sick. So please help me what product is the best for my dog?
03-16-2017, 09:27 AM,
RE: fleas and ticks medicine for dogs
(03-16-2017, 03:40 AM)Kenneth Wrote: Hi friends, I'm Kenneth and I need some suggestion or advice to help me. My dog is not feeling well and I think because of the fleas and ticks, I really love my pet for almost 10 years since we have been together and it's hard for me to see that he is sick. So please help me what product is the best for my dog?

In what way is his not feeling well?  Symptoms?  There's a lot of problems that cause a 10 yr old dog not to feel good, and very few involve fleas&ticks. Unless it's a Rickettsia or tick borne illness.

Per fleas and ticks several of the heartworm medications have ingredients to control fleas.  I've always used Sentinel, where the Lufenuron ingredient sterilizes the eggs of a female flea.  A newer heartworm medication Triflexis kills any biting fleas.  For ticks my doggy oncologist recommends Seresto collars.  Expensive, but lasts 8 months.  There are many other choices. Watch for any allergic or reactions when using these products. One should avoid using the older flea&tick powders.  Most contain a carbamyl insecticide, known to be carcinogenic.
03-16-2017, 12:11 PM,
Fleas normally don't cause a dog to feel sick other than being annoyed by itching and getting tapeworms from ingested infected fleas. Tapeworms unless very heave infestation, usually just cause itching in the anal area and scooting more than anything else. Ticks are a different problem, they can cause tick-born disease like lyme disease, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Yes, please post your dog's symptoms you are seeing.
03-16-2017, 10:51 PM,
Hi guys! Thanks for your concern and advice. But I found that it has a flea and ticks. So I need a product that I can use to avoid them. I tried step by step, but it is insufficient.
03-17-2017, 12:40 PM,
Dragondawg, compiled a list of several brands that can be useful to you. If you are trying to get rid of fleas, don't forget to kill the eggs around the environment as well. Ovitrol is a product my vet recommends as it contains Insect Growth Regulator to kill flea eggs and larvae.