Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog with Kennel Cough and not eating
05-26-2013, 01:16 PM,
Dog with Kennel Cough and not eating
I boarded Belle from the 11th-14th and she was due for a bord vac on the 20th. We went in for her annual on the 10th, and the vet didn't give her another one because she wasn't expired. When I picked her up on the 14th, she was fine. Slowly, she has started to develop a cough. On the 23rd, I started to get worried. On the 24th, I made an appointment to see the vet. Yesterday, she was diagnosed with kennel cough. They gave her hycodan as a cough suppressant and doxycycline as an anti-botic. I gave her a hycodan as soon as we got home. She wasn't eating much, but she was eating treats. She threw up about an hour and a half later. She then proceeded to not eat ANYTHING, no matter what I tried. Seeing as I was uninformed, I though the anti-biotics were to clear the whole thing up, so I was frantic to give them to her, but the bottle said to give on a full stomach. Finally, I found something online that said she didn't have to have food, so I gave her one. I contacted my vet friend and she said she could have another hycodan since it has been several hours. I gave her one about an hour before I went to bed, and she seemed like she was keeping it down. Now it's Sunday and she hasn't had any food in almost two days save a few pepperonis I gave her yesterday. She threw up mostly water this morning, and who knows if she threw up overnight since I have a doggie door. She is incredibly lethargic, not wanting to do anything. I really want her to eat so she can keep these meds down. She's refusing everything I give her. My most recent attempt was to put some of her (softened) food in a blender with some pepperonis for the smell/taste, and I essentially made doggie baby food. I tried force feeding her a few spoonfuls, and she immediately went outside and threw that up. Now I'm thinking this is an upset tummy issue more than anything, so I gave her a little yogurt and she seems to be keeping that down.

I'm just really scared because she's always been weird about eating. I tried green beans, cookies, and all sorts of things she normally loves. She even won't eat her daily Greenie.

She's 7 now, a lab mix. She was 60 pounds about six months ago (which was overweight for her.) Before I boarded her, she was 48 pounds. When we went yesterday, she was at 44 pounds.

She REALLY needs to eat, but I just can't get her to do it! What else can I try?
05-26-2013, 02:13 PM,
RE: Dog with Kennel Cough and not eating
Did you try meat-based baby food with no onion or garlic in it? When my dog was sick and not eating, my vet said to pick up some baby food, warm it up to release some aroma and my girl ate it readily and was able to keep it down cause it's pretty bland. You need to give just a little bit at a time though. If it's getting so bad though that she can't keep anything down, I would talk to your vet and get a follow up appointment. Not wanting to eat anything and acting lethargic is not good and seems more than kennel cough to me. Maybe you're dealing with some of reaction to the meds? Is says here the doxycycline may cause vomiting at times.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dox...page1.aspx
05-26-2013, 02:43 PM,
Definitively something to discuss with your vet. Since your dog hasn't eaten for 2 days and whatever you try is brought back up, and on top of that she's lethargic, I would contact your vet and see if he thinks it may be a reaction to the meds, a more severe case of kennel cough or if something else may be going on. This whole stomach issue and not eating started after you gave the meds? Is her cough at least getting better? Something your vet can prescribe is Hill's A/D which is a special canned food made on purpose for dogs and cats that are anorexic. It's highly palatable with a soft consistency that aids acceptance by pets with little to no appetite. Something else you can try is going to your pet store and asking about Nutrical. This is a high calorie nutritional supplement for picky eaters and dogs who are 'off food' and need a boost of energy.
Former AAHA animal hospital employee, dog trainer and dog behavior consultant. Published dog author on several print and web publications.
05-26-2013, 02:51 PM,
Thanks. She's always been weird about food, but always at least eats treats. She acts like I'm torturing her when I try to give her food. I'm going to run to the store and get some chicken and rice and see if that helps. If not, looks like I will be going to the emergency vet. I just can't tell if this is a comfort issue or a stomach issue, or both. I just took a long, very hot shower with her in the bathroom and she seemed to like that, so I'm going to pick up a humidifier as well. I've heard the honey thing a couple of times, so I'll give that a shot.
05-26-2013, 02:52 PM,
This may not be the healthiest food, but my friend is a vet tech and she once confessed to me that when they had a very sick dog who wasn't eating, they would get a few hamburgers from McDonalds or Wendy's and give them without condiments and many dogs who were literally refusing food, were readily eating those and the best part is that once they started eating those they would eat also other food. Not good of course if the dog has already an upset stomach or a case of pancreatitis, but it did do the trick for dogs who lost their appetite because they were sick for other reasons. Just my 2 cents!
05-26-2013, 02:56 PM,
Not sure if that would work. I have tempted with "people food" for the whole 2 days. She usually eats the crusts from pizza, crumbs from my breakfast, and she hasn't wanted to touch it. I was almost certain that she would go for the yogurt on her own since she usually laps up what's left in the cup, but this time nothing. Ugh!!
05-26-2013, 05:00 PM,
Update: I just dropped her off at the emergency clinic. She had gotten to the point that she didn't want to even walk or get in or out of the car. She had to be carried to the patient room. They are keeping her overnight and giving her IV fluids for dehydration. She would barely sit up. I'm so scared for her. Friends, please pray for Belle to get better!
05-27-2013, 11:40 AM,
Oh my, keeping her in my thought and prayers. That's surely seems something more than just kennel cough or an upset stomach. I hope she gets better soon.
05-27-2013, 08:40 PM,
I hope all goes well and that it's nothing major. Let us know what it turns out. Best wishes for Belle! Once hydrated, she'll hopefully start feeling better.
06-02-2013, 03:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2013, 03:02 PM by Laika.)
Any news on Belle? I was wondering how she is doing. I hope she's on her way to recovery!