Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bizarre Diarrhea
04-29-2017, 11:03 PM,
Bizarre Diarrhea
Hello everyone. I'm currently dogsitting for my boyfriend's mom. Peanut is an old chihuahua, somewhere between 12 and 14. She pooped on the bathroom floor this evening, and it was the strangest thing I have ever seen. It was nearly completely liquid, almost yellow in color, and it stained the tile floor bluish-black. Soiling in the house isn't out of character for Peanut at all, but she hasn't seemed to be feeling too well today. Normally she's pretty active, for an old lady, and she didn't seem to want to do much today. She ate a bit, not as much as she usually does, and she's seemed pretty mopey. I don't think she ate anything poisonous, she's been with me all day. I know dogs sometimes get upset stomachs and usually snap out of it on their own, but the fact that it stained the floor such an odd color has me worried.
Has anyone heard of this before? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
04-30-2017, 02:26 AM,
RE: Bizarre Diarrhea
That is very odd, yellow poop is not that unusual, have seen it in some dogs with diarrhea and giardia, but what's really odd is the color change to bluish black when it stained the floor. May be she pooped initially and then and peed on top of it? Black stools can be sign of digested blood in the stool, bluish stools can be seen when dogs ingest rat poison. Are you sure she pooped it and wasn't actual vomit?

Could be she ate something unusual in the past days, normally it can take 48 hours for stool to form. I would let the owner know, maybe she can provide a possible explanation, but it's concerning she is mopey. It could be she's stressed from being in an unfamiliar place, but can also be she's not feeling well.
04-30-2017, 01:30 PM,
(04-29-2017, 11:03 PM)HatiMoonchaser Wrote: Hello everyone. I'm currently dogsitting for my boyfriend's mom. Peanut is an old chihuahua, somewhere between 12 and 14. She pooped on the bathroom floor this evening, and it was the strangest thing I have ever seen. It was nearly completely liquid, almost yellow in color, and it stained the tile floor bluish-black. Soiling in the house isn't out of character for Peanut at all, but she hasn't seemed to be feeling too well today. Normally she's pretty active, for an old lady, and she didn't seem to want to do much today. She ate a bit, not as much as she usually does, and she's seemed pretty mopey. I don't think she ate anything poisonous, she's been with me all day. I know dogs sometimes get upset stomachs and usually snap out of it on their own, but the fact that it stained the floor such an odd color has me worried.
Has anyone heard of this before? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Food starts out as a yellow color in the small intestine, and only later is bile added giving the feces its brown color.  A yellow diarrhea suggests the liquefied food partially digested in the small intestine is rapidly transiting the large intestine.  Also a completely liquid diarrhea suggests there are toxins promoting the motility or peristalsis of the large intestine.  The bluish-black stain is probably from blood mixed into the initial amount which came out.

The most likely cause is an overgrowth of bacteria, or protozoa, or parasite.  Also possible is the beginning of a metabolic disease.  You will need to take the dog to the Vet for a diagnosis, and medical treatment.  Usually the Vet will take a fecal sample, and prescribe a medication such as Metronidazole.  In addition they may prescribe something like Endosorb which helps neutralize intestinal toxins. They will probably recommend a bland or prescription diet.  If the diarrhea persists, then the Vet if they haven't already done so, will take a blood sample for lab diagnostics.

Assumed Peanut is still drinking water, and staying hydrated.  Dehydration in a geriatric dog can become very serious within 24 hrs.  If Peanut were to stop drinking,  or have her diarrhea change from yellow to black, and/or start vomiting, then it would be time for a trip to the emergency Vet hospital.  Also keep track of her temperature with a digital rectal thermometer.  Geriatric dogs with a temperature above 103 can go downhill quickly, requiring immediate treatment.   Otherwise get Peanut to the Vet on Monday.  If she is still eating a little, you could try offering her a small amount of canned pumpkin, and plain active culture yogurt.
05-02-2017, 02:40 PM,
How is Peanut doing? Did you get to figure out what was going on? I hope she's feeling better.