Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shepador puppy itching, dry, sagging skin.
05-02-2017, 12:30 PM,
Shepador puppy itching, dry, sagging skin.
Howdy!

I have a 6 month old German Shepherd Lab mix with I'd like to call a very bad case of allergies . She has a very bad itch And dry skin mainly on her face. This has been happening on and off for about a month. She gets fed with premium dry food by wellness and I have never seen her react to the food in a negative way. Today I decided to check up on her face when I woke up and it's twice as bad as it normally is.

I have tried applying vasiline and penatin baby rash cream to the affected areas which seemed to  great. However I was wondering if anyone here could help me try to pinpoint what exactly is causing her to get these bad case of hot spots and stuff.

At first I thought it was lip fold pyrodermia, then I thought it was a case of the scabies...and now I feel like it's an allergy problem. Like I said she gets fed with great food, sometimes apples as treats but mainly frozen beef liver treats. She gets deer antlers as a chew bone.

Can anyone help please? Thank you in advance.

Here are some pictures  (most recent first in order):
http://imgur.com/a/tFwtm
05-02-2017, 02:38 PM,
RE: Shepador puppy itching, dry, sagging skin.
Can it be she scratched the area causing that wound on the face? If she's itchy, it could be excessive scratching that is causing those sores you are seeing. The best thing to do is to have the vet do a skin scrape to rule out other skin conditions other than allergies (like pyoderma, mange demodex mites)

In any case, allergies just as in people, are treated with antihistamines which you can obtain from your vet. Fatty acids may also help the skin. Getting to the underlying cause of the allergy if present can be quite challenging at times. Your vet may decide to start your dog on a food trial to determine if there is a particular food your dog may be allergic to.
05-02-2017, 03:24 PM,
Thank you for your swift reply.

I decided to check with my mother (aka grandma) to see what she has been feeding as treats and such. I found out she has been giving her some treats and other bones from the dollar store around the time this issue of hers arised.
05-02-2017, 03:26 PM,
Thank you for your swift reply.

I decided to check with my mother (aka grandma) to see what she has been feeding as treats and such. I found out she has been giving her some treats and other bones from the dollar store around the time this issue of hers arised.

I feel like those treats are causing the discomfort but I will go to the vet to see if there's something we can do to make her not scratch and heal the sores.

I have been thinking on purchasing a cone for her to wear so she's unable to scratch at it but my girlfriend feels like thats a waste of money .
05-02-2017, 03:27 PM,
Your dog appears to have a bacterial skin infection. Where you will probably need a couple weeks of antibiotics from the Vet to clear it up. You should ask the Vet for the appropriate dose of Benadryl for your dog. Also ask the Vet about prescribing a tube of Panalog salve.

Some common causes would be: Environmental allergen, hyper sensitivity to insect bites, or demodex mites - commonly called "Puppy Mange". A Vet will typically scrape the skin to check for mites. Oral Ivermectin would be prescribed if mites are found.

Food allergies usually cause skin problems in more than one area. It's quite possible your dog came into contact with an environmental allergen, and from there developed a staph infection. Causing continued itching around the muzzle. If it reoccurs after clearing up, and Panalog plus Benadryl doesn't solve the problem, then you would need a referral to a Vet dermatologist. More esoteric causes include the beginning of an auto-immune reaction. If your dog was geriatric instead of a growing puppy, the Vets would test likely test for hypothyroid.

In summary, chances are your dog started with a contact allergy, and progressed to a skin infection. Where short treatment with antibiotics, and something like Panalog plus Benadryl will clear up the problem. If puppy comes into contact with the allergen again, or develops a reaction against flea/insect bites, then Benadryl plus Panalog would likely clear it up, before a skin infection takes a hold.
05-02-2017, 03:31 PM,
Thank you so much for the information and advice! I largely appreciate It! I will be taking her to the vet as soon as possible to rule out anything.

I was just hoping it was a cheaper fix.

Thanks again!
05-02-2017, 04:25 PM,
(05-02-2017, 03:31 PM)MmoFanatic Wrote: Thank you so much for the information and advice! I largely appreciate It! I will be taking her to the vet as soon as possible to rule out anything.

I was just hoping it was a cheaper fix.

Thanks again!

Dogs are low maintenance... until something happens to em!
05-03-2017, 10:17 PM,
Hiya, just an update. 

I took her to the vet today and they had performed a skin scrape and such. They found a parasite called Demotex under her skin. They prescribed antibiotics and we're waiting for her medication to remove the actual parasite.

I'm glad atleast I was convinced by you guys/girls to take her to the vet first before it became worse and more expensive.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks again!
05-04-2017, 09:29 AM,
(05-03-2017, 10:17 PM)MmoFanatic Wrote: Hiya, just an update. 

I took her to the vet today and they had performed a skin scrape and such. They found a parasite called Demotex under her skin. They prescribed antibiotics and we're waiting for her medication to remove the actual parasite.

I'm glad atleast I was convinced by you guys/girls to take her to the vet first before it became worse and more expensive.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks again!

The Demodex mites are easily taken care of by Ivermectin.  Also one of the original heart worm medications. 

Demodex mites are normally kept in check by the immune system.  When the immune system is compromised, or stressed, the mites flare up.  Dogs with genetically impaired immune systems have chronic bouts.  My one dog when a puppy caught kennel cough courtesy of the local animal shelter.  A couple weeks later, after getting over the kennel cough, the mites flared up.  Believe he was on daily oral Ivermectin for about 2-3 weeks.
05-04-2017, 09:42 PM,
That's very interesting.

Apparently my puppy got it from the mother since it's hereditary. But I'm not sure what could cause her to have such a weak immune system. I give her premium food and vitamin c from apple treats hehe. Is there anything here anyone could recrommend to boost her immune system?