Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flexadin advanced chews
05-15-2017, 12:20 AM,
Flexadin advanced chews
I'm looking for a suitable replacement for flexadin advanced (for joints and flexibility). I have a french Bulldog that has back problems. The flexadin is working great but it's expensive. Does anyone know of a comparable product that works just as good? Thanks
05-15-2017, 11:51 AM,
RE: Flexadin advanced chews
You are paying a high price for a dog supplement with a very low concentration of worthwhile ingredients. You could probably do better by supplementing using the same ingredients separately, but in higher concentrations. Let's look at the ingredients the Flexadin claims to contain, and the amounts:

Omega 3s in a combo of Flax seed plus Fish oil 100 mg.

Vitamin A 21 IUs

Chicken collagen 40mg. Other collagen 10 mg

Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) 11mg

30 chews around $25(?).

Starting with the Omega 3s, omit the Flax seed as it's an extremely poor source of Omega 3s. That leaves fish oil: 180 mg EPA + 120 mg DHA or 300 mg of 3-Omega fatty acids per 1000 mg. Note we just covered EPA at the bottom of the list with the fish oil. One 1000 mg Fish oil gel cap is 3X the Omega 3s as in the Flexadin. I typically give my dogs 3-1000 mg gel caps per each of their 2 meals. No side affects. Dogs like the taste of the fish oil gel caps. Get the type that does NOT claim to be the blurpless type. The burpless type have a hard, bitter covering a dog is hesitant to bite through.

Vitamin E is a fat soluble vitamin. One could double the Flexadin amount from 21 to 50 IUs without any problem. Confirm with your Vet. Toss the gel cap in the dog's food.

What is Chicken collagen? It's composed primarily of chondroitin and glucosamine. That's sold as a combo pill. Get a brand that includes MSM. It tends to be high priced for a supplement. Believe it usually comes in a 1600 mg size. With 1 pill you would be feeding your dog at least 10X more than is in the Flexadin. I tried chondroitin and glucosamine, and it made no difference for my dogs. Wrap the pill in melted cheese, and a dog will gulp it down.

What you could try is start by giving just large doses of Fish oil. If that doesn't get the desired effect, add in the Vitamin A, and finally the chondroitin+glucosamine+MSM. If the chondroitin+glucosamine+MSM adds too much expense, you could split the typical pill in half, and still be giving 5X more than was contained in Flexadin.

Both of my 14 yr olds have arthritis in their hips or difficulty getting up. I give both the 3000 mg of fish oil per meal. One gets Rimadyl+gabapentin for arthritis, and pain from her Nerve Sheath cancer. It made a dramatic difference for her. The other with Leukemia only the gabapentin is allowed for any arthritic pain. Mixing Rimadyl with his Prednisone would cause liver problems.
05-15-2017, 12:42 PM,
RE: Flexadin advanced chews
Hello there!
I have a dog with IVDD in the neck and back area and so far we have had some success with a product known as Vetridisk. I like this product because its custom-made for disc disease. It's made of bovine tracheal cartilage (rich in chondroitin), vitamin C which supports collagen production, calcium, magnesim and several other components meant to help with problems in the spine. I have tried several other products and so far this one has given us the longest time between relapses of flare-ups.

We also use Duralactin (microlactin) which has anti-inflammatory effects and another product we have added is Bixbi joints (our dogs has also joint arthritis) which is made with Organic Cordyceps, Organic Reishi, Organic Agaricus Blazei, Organic Turkey Tail, NEM, Organic Shitake, Organic Maitake.

I am not saying these will work for your dog too, but just thought to share what has been helping my dog.