Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swollen ear
04-16-2012, 01:36 AM,
Swollen ear
My dog's ear has been swollen for a few days and if I touch it, my dog yelps, what can this be and what can I do?
04-18-2012, 12:51 AM,
RE: Swollen ear
Hello,
I hope your dog is doing better by now. From your description it sounds like a condition known as "aural hematoma" where the tiny blood vessels in the ear flap bleed and cause an accumulation of blood under the skin making the ear flap swell. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do at home other than taking a conservative approach to prevent your dog from further aggravating the ear until the vet can be seen. If the swelling is due to an aural hematoma your dog will need to have the fluid drained either with a needle aspirate, or in more severe cases, an incision will need to be made under anesthesia. Also, your vet may need to address the underlying cause of the head shaking and ear scratching. Keep in mind that failure to treat an aural hematoma may result in scarring that may remain unsightly.
I hope this helps! Best wishes!
04-18-2012, 01:16 PM,
RE: Swollen ear
We went to the vet this morning and he confirmed what you claimed it to be, he had the ear drained and is now wearing that lampshade collar which he hates! Thank you, were are treating the ear problem so hopefully it will not happen again!