Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird toenail growing from dogs toe pad
12-05-2013, 11:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 06:08 PM by PeggyParks.)
Exclamation  Weird toenail growing from dogs toe pad
So, yeah. Scooter is a Chihuahua and he has just turned 19 years old. He is still fairly active and very healthy aside from some blindness and hearing loss, but recently I was trimming his nails and found a crazy looking "toenail" growing out of the pad of one of his toes. Huh

It didn't seem to bother him, but it was disturbing enough for me to feel it definitely warranted a vet visit. My vet said he thought it was some kind of growth, like a corn, and wanted me to try a corn removing product if it started to bother him. He absolutely refuses to cut it off because that would require Scooter to be put under anesthesia, and there is a very large chance he would never wake up due to his age.

The growth didn't bother him for the longest, but it kept on growing...and it seriously looks like a long curled up toenail. I even trimmed it like a toenail, and aside from the consistency being a little grainy, it trimmed just like a toenail.

Just yesterday I was wrapping Christmas gifts and I just happened to glance over at Scooters den and there was blood all over his bed. Of course I freaked out and started checking him all over for a wound. Finally I noticed that it was coming from his extra toenail. Actually, it was coming from a soft bump that had arisen on the toe part of the extra toenail...it's attached to the extra toenail, but at the base where there seems to be what looks like a meaty toe. I used a styptic pen after sterilizing it and put triple antibiotic salve on the part that was bleeding then wrapped it all up with a gauze and some self adhering Ace bandage (which naturally he got off after 15 minutes). The bleeding hasn't started back and I have some special dog paw bandages on the way from Amazon in case it happens again, but I'm worried about how hard it was to stop the bleeding. I decided to get some styptic powder since the pen took so long to work, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem or knows of something like it. If so, is there some way to remove it without causing him to bleed? Maybe freeze it off? Will that corn remover work?
I know I've babbled a lot but Scooter's been with me since he was 7 months old. I don't have kids so my dogs fill that position. At 19 I'm so scared of doing anything without talking to someone who has knowledge of how best to deal with it. I know if it keeps bothering him I really will have no choice but to let my vet try to remove it, but I also know that will probably be the same as euthanizing him. I know it's best to let them go if they are not enjoying a quality of life that is humane, but this really is the only issue he has, and it has only hurt him the once, so I'd like to try and prevent it from recurring and hold onto him as long as he's the happy, loving dog he is now.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Peggy
12-06-2013, 01:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 02:04 AM by Madmax.)
RE: Weird toenail growing from dogs toe pad
Kudos to you for having a 19-year old companion that is active overall and healthy. Believe it or not, I found many dog owners with similar issues. In several cases, it turned out being a "cutaneous horn". Here's a helpful article:
http://dogshealthtips.blogspot.com/2012/...n-dog.html
and some pictures:
http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/3ol...-nail.html
12-06-2013, 09:02 AM,
Thanks for answering. That's what my vet called it, I just couldn't remember but when you wrote "cutaneous horn" my brain kicked in and AH-HA!I remembered Smile So have you heard of the corn remover working on these? Thanks for the link. I'll try that too!
12-06-2013, 12:34 PM,
I have also email my vet with the second link you gave me to see if he will prescribe the antibiotic azithromycin and the KeraSolv. Keeping my fingers crossed and thanks again Smile
12-07-2013, 05:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM by Madmax.)
I am not sure if the corn remover would work , especially long-term since it may just grow back again in some case. I really hope your vet can find a non-surgical option.
09-07-2015, 05:25 PM,
I know this is an old thread, but any chance you found out what worked for your dog? Did the growth go away? My friend has a dog with a similar issue and they are at a loss.