Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird Hacking
07-15-2017, 01:46 PM,
Weird Hacking
My 4 year old chihuahua/Pomeranian has over the years always had a small little hack occasionally and I never was something worrisome, it would just happen when she got too excited from running or something. However in the last few months it has gotten worse and she'll be hacking anywhere from 10 seconds to multiple minutes at a time and there is no real pattern for it, maybe every couple days, and sometimes it could be a week before it happens again. It doesn't sound like like kennel cough or "reverse sneezing", and she is perfectly healthy otherwise and goes right back to normal after she's over her spell. I have video of the most recent time it happened. Does anyone recognize this?
07-15-2017, 03:38 PM,
RE: Weird Hacking
Small breeds are prone to "Collapsing Trachea". Where as a result of a genetic fault, the muscles around the trachea become weak. When the dog becomes excited, or exercises, the moisture in the trachea can dry out, causing it to collapse. The most common treatment Vets try is a cough suppressant. In more severe cases they may use bronchodilators, or short term corticosteroids to relieve inflammation.

Other potential causes could range from heart problems (cough), to something else. Schedule an exam with the Vet, and bring along the video.

The Vet is likely to suggest removal of any collar, and walking the dog with a body harness.

My one 14 yr old Leukemia puppy developed collapsing trachea while on high doses of Prednisone, which can cause muscle weakness. He "gags" after exercise, or when he gets hot, and pants. It helps when he gets up, and drinks some water.
07-15-2017, 04:09 PM,
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I looked up collapsing trachea videos and the hacking is almost identical to what my dog hacking spells. I've never heard of that before and no one has ever said anything because whenever we've done her exams she hasn't had any issues, only at home. You've been so helpful thank you so much!
07-16-2017, 02:30 PM,
(07-15-2017, 04:09 PM)Kshannon28 Wrote: THANK YOU SO MUCH. I looked up collapsing trachea videos and the hacking is almost identical to what my dog hacking spells. I've never heard of that before and no one has ever said anything because whenever we've done her exams she hasn't had any issues, only at home. You've been so helpful thank you so much!

You're welcome. 

Consult with your Vet for a diagnosis.  If they agree a cough suppressor should be used, ask them which OTC brand to use, and the dose.  Some human cough suppressants contain the artificial sweetener Xylitol which is extremely toxic to dogs.  Others may include drugs such as Tylenol which can cause severe liver damage in a dog.