Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough Cheeks.
08-03-2017, 06:46 AM,
Sad  Rough Cheeks.
My 12 month old golden sometimes crawls to the top of the bed and pretends to be a furry body pillow, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. This morning was unlike any other, except while I was massaging her muzzle I noticed a patch of rough skin on her right side. It was very circular, tough, potentially crusty, with little to no discoloration. I would not have noticed it if I hadn't felt it. 

Thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-03-2017, 11:40 AM,
RE: Rough Cheeks.
(08-03-2017, 06:46 AM)Dirtycorner Wrote: My 12 month old golden sometimes crawls to the top of the bed and pretends to be a furry body pillow, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. This morning was unlike any other, except while I was massaging her muzzle I noticed a patch of rough skin on her right side. It was very circular, tough, potentially crusty, with little to no discoloration. I would not have noticed it if I hadn't felt it. 

Thoughts?

Most likely a cyst, or possible past skin infection healed.  But given the age of the dog, one must always be on guard against potential skin cancers. Feel around on the jaw line-neck area for any swollen lymph nodes.  

For now you might want to observe the area.  If you notice any change in color, size, find swollen lymph nodes, or growths in the mouth,  or similar areas on other parts of the body, then it's time for a Vet to check it.
08-03-2017, 10:05 PM,
(08-03-2017, 11:40 AM)dragondawg Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 06:46 AM)Dirtycorner Wrote: My 12 month old golden sometimes crawls to the top of the bed and pretends to be a furry body pillow, much to the annoyance of my girlfriend. This morning was unlike any other, except while I was massaging her muzzle I noticed a patch of rough skin on her right side. It was very circular, tough, potentially crusty, with little to no discoloration. I would not have noticed it if I hadn't felt it. 

Thoughts?

Most likely a cyst, or possible past skin infection healed.  But given the age of the dog, one must always be on guard against potential skin cancers. Feel around on the jaw line-neck area for any swollen lymph nodes.  

For now you might want to observe the area.  If you notice any change in color, size, find swollen lymph nodes, or growths in the mouth,  or similar areas on other parts of the body, then it's time for a Vet to check it.

The area is now quite bloody - she has been rubbing it against the floor, the carpet, the furniture - I'm not sure if it's physical pain, or just an itchy discomfort. She has an appointment on Monday, hopefully it's nothing.  Confused  Thanks for your input!
08-06-2017, 03:15 PM,
If it's itchy, most likely it's some type of allergy, contact allergy with anything that can irritate the skin or even ringworm, (even though you would see more circular areas) which is common in young dogs. It could also be just a scrape of toughened skin that is in the healing process. A skin scrape by the vet can help rule out/confirm what is causing this. Keep us posted on your vet's findings!