Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange marking on skin
08-09-2017, 01:00 PM,
Strange marking on skin
My Whippet has developed this twice in the last couple months. It started as a smaller round scab which we thought initially to be a tick. As I went to remove it I realized it was just a scab and shortly after the mark went away. I saw another one recently and was not alarmed but curious how he could have gotten it. It grew slightly larger then got the red circle around it similar to last time. Has anyone had any experience with what this is or why it may occur? Could it be a bite?
Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-09-2017, 01:25 PM,
RE: Strange marking on skin
(08-09-2017, 01:00 PM)cyeag27 Wrote: My Whippet has developed this twice in the last couple months. It started as a smaller round scab which we thought initially to be a tick. As I went to remove it I realized it was just a scab and shortly after the mark went away. I saw another one recently and was not alarmed but curious how he could have gotten it. It grew slightly larger then got the red circle around it similar to last time. Has anyone had any experience with what this is or why it may occur? Could it be a bite?
Thank you!

It's possibly an insect bite from a spider or mosquito, causing an inflammatory allergic like reaction.  There's also a chance it's ringworm.  Where some dogs are carriers of the fungal disease with few symptoms.

Have your Vet check if it's still present, so s/he can eliminate ringworm as a cause.  If the Vet believes it's an insect bite, then ask the Vet for some Panalog or other suitable product to relieve the inflammation, and prevent infection.
08-14-2017, 03:41 PM,
It could likely be a bug bite. While it may look like the bull's eyes seen in lyme's disease, in dogs this illness does not typically cause such marking. Other possibilities are a a fungal infection, or trauma from a thorn.
08-19-2017, 04:54 PM,
Did you ever figure out what your whippet had? I was curious what this scab was. Did your vet have a chance to see it?