Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog passed away after being spayed
09-10-2017, 10:55 PM,
Dog passed away after being spayed
85 lbs terrier 
3 yrs old very healthy
Dropped off in morning
Spayed apx 11am
after the surgery my wife called 330 pm to see if we could  pick up our dog and the doctor told her that she would like to keep her overnight because she had excessive scar tissue resulting from a very large litter in about six months ago that made the surgery difficult
Vet Called at 845 pm that night said she had bloody diarrhea and passing something odd which they never seen before
Wife called her back and asked if something might have gotten perforated vet said no
After a unanswered call by us the doctor called back at 1115 next day said girl was vomiting blood
1140 phone call from doctor and our girl was dead after going through seizures
I was there by 12:15
At 1240 I sat in on autopsy and upon starting rigor had set in legs where stiff and locked

The sample of the stool verified as mushroom from scrap dinner a couple days prior was liver like
Soon after incision blood started pouring out
After cutting through abdominal wall blood gushed out pouring overflowing table rushing on floor puddling floor splashing on the walls so much blood I'd say 3/4+ gallon of blood
She slowly died from internal bleeding
It was very upsetting and disturbing scene most pet owners could not endure
The autopsy continued with conclusions cause of death internal bleeding and find the cause
I would not be able to recognize something that was not obvious and nothing was found I asked after 20-25 minutes to put her back together because I had seen enough and wanted to leave. 

Obviously very disappointed with the outcome and it's a very sad situation probably for everybody we know and liked the veterinarian very much previously although because we brought in a very healthy dog and  now she has pass we're very concerned. I understand things happen but I am still concerned. 

Please advise anything you can about the situation from the information I've given both medically and as far as the responsibility of the vet.
09-11-2017, 09:35 AM,
RE: Dog passed away after being spayed
It sounds as though upon removing the ovary and uterus the veins&arteries were not tied off sufficiently to prevent internal bleeding. Did the Vet attempt an ultrasound, or other tests that night?

You have the recourse of filing a complaint against the Vet with the Veterinary State Board in your State. Where if your complaint is not the first against the Vet, the State Board may take action. Or you could find, and consult with an attorney experienced with Veterinary Malpractice.

Internal bleeding upon spaying is always a risk. What seems amiss is the Vet didn't detect the internal bleeding. Also, unclear if your dog was being monitored by a Vet overnight.

Take a few days to recover from the shock of losing your dog, before deciding what to do.
09-11-2017, 06:20 PM,
I am so sorry for your loss, it must have been devastating! I wonder if there may have been some type of underlying blood clotting disorder.
09-11-2017, 06:24 PM,
I wonder also if she may have been in heat, which can be an aggravating factor especially if there was an underlying blood clotting disorder. Being in heat during a spay means more swelling and bleeding since the blood supply going to the uterus is larger than normal. If she had a litter six months prior, it could be she was close to being in heat again.
09-12-2017, 12:37 AM,
(09-11-2017, 09:35 AM)Thank You for your reply, we don\t know of any tests that where done so I can't say. We would have expected that there should have been due to complications being noticed the night of the surgery.  As far as 24 hour care no I don't believe that was available either although the vet did say that she was going to monitor her that night but how late I couldn't say as of now. There are some unanswered questions just because we haven't asked yet.  We haven't spoken with the vetenarians office as of now but plan on contacting them tomorrow.dragondawg Wrote: It sounds as though upon removing the ovary and uterus the veins&arteries were not tied off sufficiently to prevent internal bleeding.  Did the Vet attempt an ultrasound, or other tests that night?  

You have the recourse of filing a complaint against the Vet with the Veterinary State Board in your State.  Where if your complaint is not the first against the Vet, the State Board may take action.  Or you could find, and consult with an attorney experienced with Veterinary Malpractice.

Internal bleeding upon spaying is always a risk.   What seems amiss is the Vet didn't detect the internal bleeding.  Also,  unclear if your dog was being monitored by a Vet overnight.  

Take a few days to recover from the shock of losing your dog, before deciding what to do.
09-12-2017, 12:55 AM,
(09-11-2017, 06:24 PM)Thank You for your reply, yes the vet did mention that she was starting to go into heat again and this was early in the afternoon the day of the surgery so I would take that as a fact. If there was a blood clotting disorder I would\nt know.  How would the blood clotting disorder contribute? False indication that bleeding is under control and the clotting giving way allowing internal bleeding?Jennifer Wrote: I wonder also if she may have been in heat, which can be an aggravating factor especially if there was an underlying blood clotting disorder. Being in heat during a spay means more swelling and bleeding since the blood supply going to the uterus is larger than normal. If she had a litter six months prior, it could be she was close to being in heat again.
09-12-2017, 08:57 AM,
 As far as 24 hour care no I don't believe that was available either although the vet

That seems to be the going trend.  Where a local Vet practice will close after 6PM,  and refer the dog to a Emergency Vet Hospital for 24 hr care.  In my area I'm fortunate in having a very good Emergency Vet Hospital 15 minutes away.  My prior dog 15 yrs ago introduced me to the EM Vet in the fog of an emergency.  It's something to have planned out for your next dog.  It made a potentially life saving difference for my current Leukemia 14 yr old puppy.

Here's an article you can read for: "Hemoperitoneum (also commonly called hemoabdomen) is defined as blood within the peritoneal (abdominal) cavity".   It describes the methods a Vet uses for diagnosis, and treatment. 

Abdominal Bleeding