Welcome to Dog Health Forums. Whether your dog was diagnosed with a health condition you never heard about before or you are looking for a place to share thoughts or obtain support about a certain dog disease with other dog owners, this is the right place. Obviously, this is not the place to ask questions when your dog is seriously ill. If so, please don’t waste your time on a forum, but rather, rush your dog to the vet!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cough
12-31-2013, 11:45 AM,
Cough
Last weekend my husband and I rescued two very emaciated bluetick coonhounds. They are the mother and brother to our big beauty. Annie was close to death, and is coming along very nicely but has a nasty cough where she brings up fluid. I am afraid it may be heartworm. They were seen by a vet the day we got them, and went through a course of worm medication, and go back this Saturday. If she has heartworm, what are her chances of surviving the treatment?
12-31-2013, 05:18 PM,
RE: Cough
Most likely it can just be kennel cough, which is quite common, just like the human cold. If I recall well, the chances for recovery from heartworm are pretty good when caught early and when a mild, coservative treatment plan is instituted (the main risk is when too many heartworms die at once)
Source: http://www.scenichillsvet.com/heartworm-...s-services
12-31-2013, 05:23 PM,
RE:
I am surprised the vet didn't run a heartworm test, it's really easy and quite routine. We have all our dogs tested for HEL test once a year and the results come back really fast. What did the vet say about the coughing? Bless your heart for helping out these poor babies!
01-01-2014, 12:20 PM,
RE:
To be honest, there was no guarantee that Annie was going to live when we brought her in the first time. The low weight for a female bluetick is 40 lbs, she was 27. They both go back for vaccinations and tests on Saturday. She has come so far in just two weeks, it would break my heart if I lost her now. She didn't really cough when we brought her in the first time, she was so weak I don't think she could have. I have never seen a dog so emaciated, I guess all I can do now is pray for a good resolution.
01-02-2014, 07:24 PM,
RE:
Oh, wow, poor baby! I hope she pulls though all. Let us know how it goes. I have known of several dogs recovering from heartworm, but I hope it's just temporary kennel cough as Daisy said, the prognosis is much better. We'll keep her in our prayers, good luck!