Dog Health Forums

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Is my dog dying? I'm really sad ...

Hello guys,

I have a gorgeous little pom who is 5 years old and has hardly ever fell sick since I take very good care of him. Feeding him twice a day (cuz that works for him), he has lived a very active life running around the house and cuddling. It is hard to see him in this situation while he can't even walk properly.

It is not like he never fell sick but mostly because of eating nonsense while he goes out to poop in the yard. A couple of years ago, he ate some plastic bags (heavens know why he would do that) and some rubber bands which accumulated in his little tummy like a mass. Took him to doc, he was given some injections and later that day he threw up that big mass.

It again seems like he ate something which he shouldn't have. It started about 5 days ago when he started losing his active life and was sort of going a bit lazy. He was still eating food and drinking water as usual but in a couple of days, he stopped eating anything at all. I took him to the VET, he was diagnosed with nothing. The doc said it's just a little fever, so he gave him an injection (it's like injection is the only remedy with docs .. jeez). For a day, he was a little active but didn't eat anything. Now it has been 2 days, he has ate nothing and drank nothing.

Yesterday, took him back to the doc and urged him to check him completely. So, the blood test was done and also, a few xray were taken. I'm posting the blood test results below along with the Xrays. The doc has concluded some blockage and swelling in the intestines and says that looking from the history of my dog, he must have eaten something.

So he gave him a drip (glucose) 300ml and a few injections and prescribed a laxative Liquid Paraffin I.P. (Heavy) .. Dosage 2.5 ml, thrice a day. I have given him that since yesterday and he pooped some water .. which is strange to me. And his urine is kind of yellow-red. I sense either the liver or the kidneys are not functioning properly (sorry, I should not be assuming since I have no medical knowledge). But I'm hell worried since he has been drooling since yesterday and not eating anything at all. I feel that he might be in pain.

There's sliva coming out of his mouth and hanging on both sides of his mouth, it's really smelly. The worst part is that he is not eating or drinking anything at all. Is he dying? I'm worried, please suggest what could it be ..

Blood Test Report ..

[Image: dog_report1.jpg]
[Image: dog_report2.jpg]

Do you have a Vet specialty hospital in your area? If so, get your dog in fast as an emergency case.

Your plastic wrap story reminded me of my Leukemia dog getting into the trash. He had all the signs of pancreatitis until he vomited the plastic wrap back up.

Normally a dog with a bowel obstruction will attempt to vomit the material back up. The classic sign of a bowel obstruction is they drink water, vomit immediately, drink, vomit, over and over.

If there is an obstruction which has worked its way down to the lower small intestine, then you have a potential emergency. Bacteria toxins could build up, with the intestinal wall becoming necrotic, causing a septicemia. With the blood in the urine indicating the kidneys have an infection, and are being damaged. In which case surgery to remove the blockage which isn't passing would be required.

Alternatively it may have nothing to do with an intestinal obstruction, and kidney disease is present, due to some underlying cause. Although the Neutrophils are a little low, and the Lymphocytes a little high, they aren't dramatically out of range. Could be the body reacting to stress, and/or infection. The RBC, and associated readings were normal. What is missing is a Chem panel, which would give Bun readings for the kidneys.

Either way, with the kidneys now involved, you don't want this to drag out. The dog not drinking, and possibly suffering dehydration won't help. If your Vet is unconcerned, then ask for an immediate referral, or as previously stated, just get the dog into a Vet specialty or emergency hospital for diagnosis, and treatment.